Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Failed drive for DROBO 5D - OK for SMART still under warranty…
05-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Failed drive for DROBO 5D - OK for SMART still under warranty…
<<Why does a drive work in my computer when my Drobo storage device flags it as a bad drive?
Article ID AA-01629  |   Date Updated: 03/28/2017 12:55 AM

It is understandable that you would be confused or suspicious if your Drobo product flags a bad drive when the drive works fine in your computer.

If a drive produces a lot of errors in a short amount of time (it's going bad soon), Drobo storage devices display a red blinking light to indicate a failed drive. Your computer may not catch the bad drive as early in its failure process as your Drobo product can. This difference in perception is especially exaggerated if you format the disk before testing it in the computer and/or it has just a small amount of data. Eventually, the computer will also flag the drive as bad.>>

I Totally get it.
Problem is I have a drive still under warranty that failed.
It’s a NAS drive (WD RED for NAS - That is OK for you according to http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/choose-drive/)

But this drive when formatted for OS X is considered as good and pass the SMART test!

What can I say to the seller?

Is there an application that can flag this drive as bad according to your rule for a DROBO 5D?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 03:28 PM
RE: Failed drive for DROBO 5D - OK for SMART still under warranty…
hi rockit,
there may still be a way to rma your drive depending on where you got it from, though can i check what program you used to check the drive?

was it one of the WD utils, such as "data life guard"? in case it was something else, try dlg if you can, as it has 3 test/options which are smart info, quick test, and extended test.

if you capture the smart info values (before each test) and then compare after each test, that may help to provide some useful values that you can mention, especially if the extended test fails too?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-28-2017, 04:45 AM
RE: Failed drive for DROBO 5D - OK for SMART still under warranty…
In fact I guess I was not clear enough…

Drobo told me the disk was dead: to replace it…

But when reformated in Mac OS X evrything seems OK (SMART, Disk Utility and so son)

There is no Data Life Guard for Mac and WD Drive Utilities don' recognize the disk!