Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time Machine
05-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Time Machine
Ever since I got my 5N, I've been having issues with Time Machine. Every so often it says it cannot find the Time Machine drive. I have to remove it from System Preferences, restart the 5N then add it as a Time Machine drive.

Then ever so often, I would get a message that says something to the effect that Time Machine cannot verify the back up and must create a new one. It's annoying but I've learned to put up with it. The strange thing is, once it's created a new backup, I go into Time Machine and there are backups going back 4 or 5 days which doesn't make any sense.

Is anyone else having these kind of issue with Time Machine?

Thanks
Alan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2017, 04:23 PM
RE: Time Machine
hi alan,
am not sure if you tried this already, though did you happen to see sboydmans post about a way of using afp here?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
just wondering if that worked before, or may help you?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Paul
I tried that but it didn't work. I'm not sure what my Drodo name is as all it shows in Dashboard is Drobo5N and I can't see anywhere to rename it. Could it be my username?
Alan
05-12-2017, 03:57 PM
hi alan, thanks for trying that,
if you can have a look in dashboard's Network Settings, that may be able to show the info for you, for example as mentioned here: http://manuals.drobo.com/Renaming_Your_Drobo_5N.htm

am not sure if this works on a mac, though what happens if you try putting in the ip address of your mac (if known), instead of the name of your drobo, from sboydman's linked entry with that afp:// connection string?
afp://<Your_Drobo_5N_Name>.local/<Your_Time_Machine_Share_Name>
(assuming without the < or > symbols)

also, can i check what happens if you try it with out the / time machine share parameter?
and just something like this:
afp://<Your_Drobo_5N_Name>.local/
(again without the < or > symbols)

im just wondering if that would work, and possibly:
afp://<Your_Drobo_5N_Name>.local/public
(in case the public share is accessed that way)

though for your user name, is it actually giving you some kind of error message, or actual indication that your login details are not accepted?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
05-13-2017, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 08:28 AM by englishrebel.)
Paul
Found where to change the name. Already tried with its IP address and that didn't work. I connected okay - I hadn't removed the <> DUH Connected okay and Time Machine now uses it. I'll see how things go.
Thanks for the help
Alan
05-15-2017, 05:10 PM
ah ok cool thanks for the update alan