Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
End of Drobo elite?
05-06-2017, 09:20 PM
End of Drobo elite?
My Drobo Elite has been humming nicely for several years, just now all drive lights went out and I cant communicate with it, Dashboard does not recognize it. I have tried rebooting it, rebooting PC no avail. Tried connecting via USB, no luck. I hear fans, capacity blue lights are on, lights on back on, no drive lights on in front. When rebooting the green drive activity lights flash on and off then stop. Any ideas?

Steve
Drobo Elite
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2017, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 03:57 PM by Paul.)
RE: End of Drobo elite?
hi steve, sorry to hear about your problem,

can you see if the psu (itself) and lights seem to be working normally, for example if you can have a look here, does it look like the psu is having a problem?
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01615

if the psu seems to be ok though, then it is probably worth trying another test, for example the following:
- to try powering all off, and removing all cables from the drobo
- and with power still all off and cables unplugged, to try removing each drive (remembering the order for later)
- and to try connecting up and powering it up empty
(you might be able to just eject each drive half way for the test, but probably best not to keep lots of hard drives hanging out)

important:
all of the drives in your drobo, make up your diskpack, and diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety, and only when power is all off and cables unplugged.

with this in mind, if your drobo seems to boot up and become recognised by dashboard again, please stop here and use dashboard to shutdown the drobo again.
and then with power all off, and cables unplugged, you could put each diskpack drive back into where it was before.
and then if you connect it up and try to power up again, what happens now, does it boot up with the usual blue led sequence, with blue lights lighting up 1 through to 10 (probably in reverse order) and bay lights and then being found in dashboard again?
(in case it seems to hang on the bootup sequence, please do allow plenty of time here)

it may not be due to this, and while that model may be as old as one Smile i dont think its a vampire, though if you see any red power light it could also be something to do with overheating, and it also mentions not to put it in direct sunlight here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01415
(though there was no mention about silver or garlic)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply