Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two icons on the deskzop
05-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Two icons on the deskzop
Hi there,

I have a first generation 4-bays Drobo purchased in 2008 and not supported any more. Had no problem up to now.

I recently replaced a 500 GB with a 2 TB disk. Took one night to re-organise the data but was ok.

Then I got 2 Drobo icons on the desktop (Mac OS Sierra). One was full of data, the second one empty (2 TB capacity each). The Drobo dashboard indicated two volumes for one Drobo, one full, one empty.

Strange behaviour. Question : may I go on saving data on the second volume ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: Two icons on the deskzop
hi xavier,
it seems that the drobo recognised the extra capacity you added, and created a 2nd volume....

on my computer, i selected 2TB as the max volume size per volume, (as that was what i needed and prefered) and when i upgraded some drives into larger ones, i also got a 2nd volume.

Both volumes showed up to the computer as approximately 2TB volumes for me, and both were usable, but in my case (and yours) we always need to keep an eye on the overall Free space in dashboard, so that we do not overfill our drobos by mistake.

if you can, (and for better performance) try to keep the used space value around 94%

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your knowledge.

I decided to save some date on the second volume (volume 1 in Drobo Dashboard). Now I have only one icon on my Mac Os Sierra desktop, the icon corresponding to the first volume (volume 0 in Drobo dashboard) has disappeared. In Drobo dashboard I still have two volumes, though, the first one with 1.99 TB of data, the second one almost empty.

It is getting really weird, and I start wondering if I am not going to lose all the data one of these days. Do you know by any chance how to reset the two volumes together into one volume with 4TB capacity ?
05-10-2017, 08:00 PM
hi xavier, thanks for the reply and update,
can i check how much used space, and free space % you are seeing in dashboard for the overall drobo?

if dashboard still shows 2 volumes, and the blue capacity lights are still having approximately the same number lit up as before, then it may just be that the volume somehow unmounted from the mac. (in some cases, i think you can try using dashboard to shutdown the drobo, assuming no flashing lights and you are not copying or accessing files, and then to try restarting the computer, and then dashboard and then the drobo)

i think there is a way on mac, to set up a larger max volume size (like 4TB, or possibly 16TB for future expansion) but not without copying all of the data to somewhere else first, like the mac or another device, and reformatting the drobo to set it up - but reformatting will lose any existing data so is best to double check that the copied data is ok before reformatting)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)