Hi all,

Mac Pro (2013)
OSX 10.10.5
64 GB RAM

Drobo 810N
v 3.5.12
Dashboard 3.01

Carbon Copy Cloner V4

I have a 20TB RAID6 volume that is attached via Thunderbolt 2 that I am attempting to backup to the Drobo 810N.

The 810N is attached to the computer via my gigabit office network (it's a modest traffic network, so speeds are always good), and has a static IP address so I can mount it via afp (afp instead of SMB because I have been led to believe that I need to do that to be able to create a sparsebundle)

When I try and clone the Thunderbolt volume, it chugs away for 2-5 days (expected) before the drobo simply disappears from CCC, and the cloner throws an error - but then the 810N is still mounted and accessible from the Finder.

I have tried doing this both via a simple clone, and also creating a sparsebundle on the Drobo, with the same results.

I did contact CCC support, and they told me that trying to clone such a large volume via the network is *highly* inefficient. They said that the sheer number of filesystem transactions is choking the process, but maybe it will eventually work.

Can anyone shed more light on what's happening? Is there a way to maximize the potential for success? I've spent quite a bit of $ on the 810 and drives, and it would be a real shame if it's not a viable solution for backing up my storage.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 07:07 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo 810N - Carbon Copy Clone failing
hi aj,
can i check if there is a particular reason that you are copying into a sparsebundle?
(i do not have a mac but as far as i know that is a single, flat file that your data is being stored within?)

if you would also be happy with a basic copy and paste, what happens if you try connecting via smb and try copying a selected folder (with some files and nested folders inside it) and tried a copy, and to try pasting it into a new empty folder created normally somewhere on the drobo (such as a new folder created at the root level of a particular volume or share that you have?) - does that seem to work?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply