Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
8th drive bay won't recognize a drive
05-02-2017, 05:49 PM
8th drive bay won't recognize a drive
Hi, I've tried loading several different drives into the 8th bay of my B800FS and it won't recognize any of them. Suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 06:50 PM by Paul.)
RE: 8th drive bay won't recognize a drive
hi mrj,
do you happen to have any more info you can post back when you get a moment, about the drives that you have, as well as which one you were having a problem with?

just in case it is a problem with the 8th bay, then assuming the 8th bay is currently empty, one test you could try could be to try shutting down the drobo (ideally via dashboard) and then the computer, and to unplug all cables from the drobo, and then with all power off and cables unplugged, to then try swapping another drive, such as the one from the 7th bay, and putting that drive into the empty 8th bay, and then connecting things up, and powering up the computer and dashboard, and then the drobo....
what happens now? if the 8th bay recognises the drive that was in the 7th, and all things are working just as before, then it looks a bit more like it was an issue with the drives somehow, though you could then also try a different un-needed or blank new drive in the now empty 7th bay, and to see what happens there?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Hi Paul,

That worked! I turned it all off and disconnected the Drobo from power and LAN. Then I swapped drive 7 and 8 and powered it all back up. Simple, but it worked.

Thanks for your help!
M
05-02-2017, 07:54 PM
ah thats cool thanks for the update Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)