Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is there data on my new 5N2?
05-02-2017, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 03:19 PM by binarytim.)
Why is there data on my new 5N2?
Finished setting up my brand new Drobo 5N2 with 1 4TB drive and 2 1TB drives. I have not added any files to it, but it says that there is 66+ GB's of data on it. There is 1 folder in the Public "drive" labeled 'lost+found' which is empty. I delete that folder but nothing changes. What is creating over 66GB' s of invisible data that I can't get rid of, even with factory resets and drive formatting?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 07:38 PM
RE: Why is there data on my new 5N2?
hi can i check what is showing the 66GB as being used... is it dashboard showing that info?
if so is is possible to take a screenshot and to post to imgur or similar, with a link here to it to see?
(if you are able to do that, please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers though before uploading)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-03-2017, 03:45 PM
The Public drive labeled 'lost+found' is part of the system, but I don't know what it is for.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
05-05-2017, 06:56 PM
ah maybe a mac saw the drobo as the largest area with free space, and found some lost files and stored them into that folder there? (i wonder how big the lost+found folder is)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
05-10-2017, 07:47 PM
If you run fsck, the filesystem check and repair command, it might find data fragments that are not referenced anywhere in the filesystem. In particular, fsck might find data that looks like a complete file but doesn't have a name on the system — an inode with no corresponding file name. This data is still using up space, but it isn't accessible by any normal means.

If you tell fsck to repair the filesystem, it will turn these almost-deleted files back into files. The thing is, the file had a name and location once, but that information is no longer available. So fsck deposits the file in a specific directory, called lost+found (after lost and found property).

Files that appear in lost+found are typically files that were already unlinked (i.e. their name had been erased) but still opened by some process (so the data wasn't erased yet) when the system halted suddenly (kernel panic or power failure). If that's all that happened, these files were slated for deletion anyway, you don't need to care about them.

Files can also appear in lost+found because the filesystem was in an inconsistent state due to a software or hardware bug. If that's the case, it's a way for you to find files that were lost but that the system repair managed to salvage. The files may or may not contain useful data, and even if they do they may be incomplete or out of date; it all depends how bad the filesystem damage was.

On many filesystems, the lost+found directory is a bit special because it preallocates a bit of space for fsck to deposit files there. (The space isn't for the file data, which fsck leaves in place; it's for the directory entries which fsck has to make up.) If you accidentally delete lost+found, don't re-create it with mkdir, use mklost+found if available.
05-10-2017, 08:26 PM
thanks for more info jrinehart, it seems like the older times with windows .chk files