Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5N maintenance
04-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Drobo 5N maintenance
Hi,

Is there any kind of maintenance I can do for my 5N? I want to discover a problem before it happens. I did a search and found you can do chkdsk for Drobo USB devices but I can't find anything I can do for a Drobo network attached 5N. I don't see any apps to download either.

I only use my Drobo once every two weeks or so when I run a backup to it. Right now, it's 'sleeping' and not being used until I do said backup. I'd like to run some kind of maintenance on it once a month or so to catch an issue early.

It seems like a nice system so far but I haven't had a failure yet. I'm wondering if I should have build my own NAS computer instead of purchasing a Drobo since the Drobo is so hands off and I feel I have no idea what is going on with it inside.

Thanks,

Anthony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 07:33 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo 5N maintenance
hi athony,
you may already be aware, though just to mention that i think almost all of the models (especially the newer ones) do something to verify the data, about once a month (also known as data scrubbing - thanks docchris) Smile

also having DDR enabled for dual drive redundancy can help (since the default for users is usually single SDR mode)

but you are absolutely right, lots of nas devices (and im pretty sure not just drobos) cant run checkdisk on windows, (or i think even diskwarrior on mac cant run on nas devices too), and the general perception for me for pretty much all nas devices in general is that there isnt an equivelant process that feels as though something we can safely run whenever we like as often as we like in a non-potentially-destructive way) Smile of course, checkdisk can go wrong even on a windows boot up drive, but i am always running checkdisks on any volume (boot drive, or drobo volume) whenever desired, especially if the computer crashes or an application hangs etc, 1 volume at a time, and it serves me well (and i have like 8 volumes on all my drobos alone) Smile

one thing you can do though, which i also tried on my das models, but which should work fine on nas as far as can tell, would be to use a couple of extra tools which should still be free or donateware etc, such as quickpar, and/or the corz checksum / parity tools..... and these essentially can be used to either only verify certain files or folders (including nested folders for corz) or can even also be able to recover any particular file (or files) in the case for quickpar, should a file(s) get corrupt or deleted by mistake, and even just part of it changes in some way...

if you get a chance try some searches here on the forums for these tools and there should be lots of posts from me with more details about them, but if you get stuck let me know and i can try and help with more info here for you too

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-03-2017, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 07:48 PM by major_briggs.)
RE: Drobo 5N maintenance
Ok. Thank you, Paul. I will look into Quickpar and Corz checksum soon. I'm going to go ahead and assume these are safe to use on the Drobo since they look to be suggested in the Drobo forums judging from what you said above.

Thanks again,

Anthony