Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Password protected folder on Drobo
04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Password protected folder on Drobo
I've two Drobo's.
One on a offsite location for backup.
Take it home couple of times every month to sync with the Drobo I've at home.

I've files I want to password protect. And the number of files will increase.

What is the best option for creating a large password protected folder on my Drobo at home?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2017, 11:27 AM
RE: Password protected folder on Drobo
hi hufs,
am not sure how you currently do, or prefer to do syncing, though some compression tools can do a mixture of both to a degree and might help, for example the rar archive is a bit like a .zip file, but can do things like password protect, and can also add/replace/freshen/update files and folders, into an existing archive, essentially remaking the contents of an archive, in the image of the source folder, or with some other options too, i think like resetting an archive bit value (at least in windows).

it would still be worth using some kind of parity info, or archive protection (possibly a 2nd version of the archive) depending on the importance of the data, just to help against archive corruption,, which can still happen, especially in zips, but might be worth checking it out.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-01-2017, 07:40 AM
I used Disc Utility on the Mac and created a password protected dmg folder.
Works fine so far.
05-02-2017, 07:40 PM
ah ok cool, thanks for the update hufs

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)