Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5N2 and Apple Extreme Router settings
04-26-2017, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2017 11:16 AM by callj.)
Drobo 5N2 and Apple Extreme Router settings
Hello,

I have had my Drobo 5N2 for around 3 weeks now and am still trying to get it working right with Drobo support. When I set it up I added hard drives from my 5N and it was sweet because all my settings were saved as well. It worked but it wasn't that fast and when speaking to tech support they saiid I had to check the bonding box to bond the lines together. I did this and I continue to have problems. Right now I can only hook up 1 line or otherwise if I hook both lines up it cuts my apple extreme router out. The transfer speed of the one line hooked up is only 10 MBPS. The line one does not have an IP now. I am thinking it is the Apple Router I was going to reset both the router and Drobo to see if that fixed it but wanted to reach out to people on the forum to see if any of you have your Drobo 5N2 hooked up to an Apple Airport extreme and if so can you please let me know your settings. Any port forwarding etc. Any detailed setting would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know what type of router Drobo recommends if anyone know.

Thanks so much in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 08:18 PM
RE: Drobo 5N2 and Apple Extreme Router settings
hi callj, how did things go so far on this?
there are some pages on this thread with some more info about users port bonding and settings that may help?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-02-2017, 08:54 PM
(05-02-2017 08:18 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi callj, how did things go so far on this?
there are some pages on this thread with some more info about users port bonding and settings that may help?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

Thank you for the reply. I have been working with support almost a month with this and still not where it needs to be. The Apple Extreme I have tried every setting I could and still it is getting around 60 to 70 read/write if I am lucky. It is advertised to work right out of the box no settings to change on consumer routers but mine has yet to work as advertised. Does look like allot of people on here use an Apple Airport Extreme. At this point I am just trying to find a router that people have had success with for the Drobo 5N2.
05-03-2017, 02:39 PM
ah ok, hopefully things can work out for you soon

if it is not fixable with changing frame size (like disabling jumbo frames), or using static settings from i think jreinhart, it may be worth trying a test for bypassing the actual apple extreme, and trying to hook up the drobo directly to the computer, if possible? (i do not have a mac, and am not sure if the computer has a physical ethernet port on it, though if it does, i think it would be good to try as a test, in case it can help pinpoint if the airport extreme is main culprit, or if it is something else.... such as possibly an application like spotlight indexing, low space, spotify apps, or something else)

i think, migrating (and maintaining) a diskpack from a previous model, is not able to fully utilise some of the optimisations that exist if the drobo is setup fresh, (i think upto a 20% performance hit) but if you can also have a look in dashboard, does it show you any other messages for the drives in each bay, such as a Warning, or a Healed label for a drive there?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
05-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Thanks for asking. I actually installed a Dell J3667 switch today and I am getting a little over 100 read write with port bonding and it is consistant which is so much better than I had before. Definitely invest in a good switch is what I learned from all this.

(05-03-2017 02:39 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah ok, hopefully things can work out for you soon

if it is not fixable with changing frame size (like disabling jumbo frames), or using static settings from i think jreinhart, it may be worth trying a test for bypassing the actual apple extreme, and trying to hook up the drobo directly to the computer, if possible? (i do not have a mac, and am not sure if the computer has a physical ethernet port on it, though if it does, i think it would be good to try as a test, in case it can help pinpoint if the airport extreme is main culprit, or if it is something else.... such as possibly an application like spotlight indexing, low space, spotify apps, or something else)

i think, migrating (and maintaining) a diskpack from a previous model, is not able to fully utilise some of the optimisations that exist if the drobo is setup fresh, (i think upto a 20% performance hit) but if you can also have a look in dashboard, does it show you any other messages for the drives in each bay, such as a Warning, or a Healed label for a drive there?
05-10-2017, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 07:47 PM by Paul.)
ah ok thats good to hear it is much faster now...
thats true about a switch in your case, as sometimes we can forget that a chain can have many links, and that one particular link might be (weak) so to speak, yet make us think that a different link is the cause.

(or put slightly better, it reminds me of that saying, where "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link", i think) Big Grin