Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DroboApp startup on Old, v1Drobo+DroboShare
04-26-2017, 09:39 AM
DroboApp startup on Old, v1Drobo+DroboShare
OK, I know that I'm working on a very old piece of hardware, a Drobo V1 + Droboshare running Drobo Dashboard 1.8. I can't upgrade it to DD 2.x, as it's not supported.

But the thing has been churning along for almost 10 years with narry a hitch, now sporting 4TB of storage so I'm loathe to disturb it.

I have YOICS running on the box and I have PLEX installed (via putting the archive file in the DroboApps folder and restarting).

But.....HOW DO I GET PLEX STARTED?

I don't have the newer 2.x Dashboard software, so I can't start it from the older 1.8 version.

Thanks in advance.

Skip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2017, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2017 01:40 PM by ricardo.)
RE: DroboApp startup on Old, v1Drobo+DroboShare
(04-26-2017 09:39 AM)skipwilliams Wrote:  But.....HOW DO I GET PLEX STARTED?

You don't. Plex is compiled for the 5N and newer, which have a different CPU than the DroboShare.

In other words, you are trying to run Apple software on a Windows machine.

EDIT: If I may suggest an alternative, why not configure a Raspberry Pi with Plex? It should be more powerful than a DroboShare, and it is very power efficient. There are many tutorials on the internet, and even some ready-to-go images with Plex already installed (e.g. http://www.rasplex.com)

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
04-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks, that solves a lot.

1. Is there a DLNA-compliant media server that I can install on my DroboShare? What I'm trying to do is stream content on the Drobo to my Roku via a wired network. I used to use XBMC on a hacked AppleTV, but that solution had died.

2. I also have surmised that I need the DroboAdmin utility to manage DroboApps on the DroboShare. I've got that installed, but I can't for the life if me figure out how to get it to run.

Also, My Drobo has three "partitions" on it:

Drobo_Main_Storage
Drive_Image_Backups
Drobo1

Thanks in advance,

Skip
04-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Sorry, I missed your reply before my edit. In any case, my recommendation still stands: get a Raspberry Pi to run these apps. It will give you a much better experience.

For DLNA support you can use either Plex, minidlna, twonky, or any of the many many DLNA servers for Linux.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.