Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
using multiple drobos on a single pc
04-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Question using multiple drobos on a single pc
I have a Drobo DDF3 on USB3 that works well. Is it possible to add a legacy DRO4D-D on the same PC? It looks like it may need the older legacy Dashboard software, but I sure wouldn't want to try installing it and have it overwrite my current Dashboard.

Or is it possible to use the old drobo gen1 with my new dashboard software?

I have so much data on the new Drobo, I have no way to back up the data without something like another Drobo.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2017, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2017 01:27 PM by Paul.)
RE: using multiple drobos on a single pc
hi gshantz,
i have been able to use dashboard v2.5.3 with 3 different das models so far...
a gen2 (4 bay)
a drobo-s-gen2 (5 bay)
and a 5d (5 bay)

the only other das model i have is the gen1 (4 bay) from several years ago which has a problem currently so wasnt able to try that.

but what you mentioned about having lots of data, and needing something similar to be able to do backups is a very good point.... because i have done some kind of mirroring, such as with my gen1 drobo to the gen2 drobo in the past, and having a compatible hardware chassis is useful as well, and i think it also makes more or a point, and benefit, for customers, as well as consumers (home or business etc), when future versions of dashboard still support All versions of drobos... because it not only keeps existing consumers happy, but it also opens up and allows for true business opportunities, by allowing consumers to buy new models, knowing that they will still be able to connect to all models, old and new to be able to copy their data across.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Thanks. From what you are saying, maybe I should just try to connect the 2nd Drobo (gen 1) and see if my dashboard sees it. That would be sweet. Since Drobo gen 1 is USB 2 compatible, do you think it might slow my Drobo Gen3 down to USB 2?

I nearly missed your response, because I was expecting an email notice of arrival. Is there a way to get an email notice?

Appreciate the insight,
GS
04-30-2017, 11:50 AM
The dashboard should be able to present to you all the Drobos available....DAS or NAS.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
05-02-2017, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 07:04 PM by Paul.)
ah i dont think it will slow others down in that sense, though the usb bus on the overall system might be slowed down if multiple devices are all using it but thats normal. Smile

for emails sure i think you can click on usercp above to then edit your options, and also when you click the "new reply button" there should be some options at the bottom before you submit the form, about email subscribing options too)

(btw thanks dragon)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)