Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to use unallocated space
05-26-2017, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 04:17 PM by AzDragonLord.)
RE: How to use unallocated space
So as I understand it, you now have three 4-TB drives, one 6-TB drive and one 8-TB drive installed in a Drobo with Single-Disk Redundancy (SDR)?

Wait.... you mentioned UNALLOCATED space... not RESERVED space, right? Those are different. What model Drobo do you have and what is your volume size set to?

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2017, 05:25 PM
I currently have three 8TB plus two 4TB drives. The drobo is a 5N with firmware 3.5.12

Capacity shows 21.76 total, with 69% of used space, 26% of uncallocated space and 5% of free space.

Hope this clarifies Smile
05-26-2017, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 07:01 PM by Paul.)
hi vinc,
if you had 8TB x3 drives, and 4TB x2 drives, (with SDR) it should work out to this:

8TB + 8TB + 8TB + 4TB + 4TB = 32TB raw
32TB (-8TB for sdr) = 24TB actual
24TB (*0.9 for filesystem overheads) = approx 21.5TB usable

would you be able to double check if SDR is used currently (it most probably is, though good to double check) Smile
one thing that might be worth doing, would be to try copying some data from the drobo onto somewhere else, like to your computer if possible, just to try getting the free space to about 16% free.

this might allow it to be able to fully assimilate the new capacity into the diskpack, and trigger a rebuild after some time, probably at least 15mins i think based on something i read.

btw can you remember what your default max volume size per volume is? if it is 4TB, what happens if you also try shutting down dashboard (when not transferring anything), and then re-launching dashboard - does a popup appear, mentioning setting up another volume?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-27-2017, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 11:25 PM by vinc.)
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions!

Correct, I am getting exactly 21.76TB of total "usable". Out of that, 26% (5.76TB) shows as "unallocated". I filled out the entire available space to see if after reaching that point the "unallocated" space became usable, but no, I get an error saying that there is not enough space:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/de540r3helbb1x...https://www.dropbox.com/s/de540r3helbb1xu/ERROR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hevfa6soiraefx...https://www.dropbox.com/s/hevfa6soiraefxf/STORAGE

I have tried creating a new share, to see if that opened up the unallocated space. Nope.

As you suggested, I checked to make sure that Dual Disk Redundancy is not on, and it is not. I also tried deleting some of the data to free up at least 16% of the storage. It has been sitting for a few hours, rebooted a couple of times and... nothing so far.

About the default max volume size, you got me there. I only remember setting a max size for the Time Machine share, not for the other ones. Perhaps that is where I am doing something wrong?

Or perhaps the only option is to reformat the entire Drobo? Hope is not the case, that is exactly what I wanted to avoid when I bought it! Smile

(05-26-2017 06:55 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi vinc,
if you had 8TB x3 drives, and 4TB x2 drives, (with SDR) it should work out to this:

8TB + 8TB + 8TB + 4TB + 4TB = 32TB raw
32TB (-8TB for sdr) = 24TB actual
24TB (*0.9 for filesystem overheads) = approx 21.5TB usable

would you be able to double check if SDR is used currently (it most probably is, though good to double check) Smile
one thing that might be worth doing, would be to try copying some data from the drobo onto somewhere else, like to your computer if possible, just to try getting the free space to about 16% free.

this might allow it to be able to fully assimilate the new capacity into the diskpack, and trigger a rebuild after some time, probably at least 15mins i think based on something i read.

btw can you remember what your default max volume size per volume is? if it is 4TB, what happens if you also try shutting down dashboard (when not transferring anything), and then re-launching dashboard - does a popup appear, mentioning setting up another volume?
05-28-2017, 05:45 AM
I misunderstood your issue in the beginning, and I now believe what you have is an original setup of a 16 TB volume on your 5N. This limit is set during the initial setup and will never grow without help. The new volume limit is 64 TB which began with firmware version 3.5.2 but it requires a system "reset" if you upgraded from previous versions. This would explain why your UNALLOCATED space keeps growing as you add drives.

The only way to increase the volume size to its maximum 64 TB is to copy all your data off the Drobo, reset your Drobo so it rebuilds with its new default 64 TB volume, then copy your data back onto the Drobo. You should then have full access to all your drive space.

More info here...
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01867

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
05-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Bummer! That is a major pain in the neck Smile

Thank you for your time. I will do as you suggest and will report to confirm that it works.

(05-28-2017 05:45 AM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  I misunderstood your issue in the beginning, and I now believe what you have is an original setup of a 16 TB volume on your 5N. This limit is set during the initial setup and will never grow without help. The new volume limit is 64 TB which began with firmware version 3.5.2 but it requires a system "reset" if you upgraded from previous versions. This would explain why your UNALLOCATED space keeps growing as you add drives.

The only way to increase the volume size to its maximum 64 TB is to copy all your data off the Drobo, reset your Drobo so it rebuilds with its new default 64 TB volume, then copy your data back onto the Drobo. You should then have full access to all your drive space.

More info here...
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01867