Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to use unallocated space
04-21-2017, 01:36 PM
How to use unallocated space
I have a Drobo5n with a large amount of DASD across 5 drives. The 5N though is reporting 4TB of unallocated space. How do I get the 5N to use / recognize this space?

[Image: open?id=0B_uEv1Vu0Us5WnhUeFJ4QVMyYkk]

When I asked Drobo support this question there answer was to buy a new Drobo5N fill it with new drives migrate all of my data from the old 5n to the new 5n, and then reset the old 5n and then it should recognize all of the space. Sounds great if I had another $2,000 to through around.

Really need a solution to this issue that works within the existing 5N.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2017, 07:58 PM
RE: How to use unallocated space
hi thomlamb, can i check what size each drive is, and if you are using the default Single SDR drive redundancy, or if it is using dual DDR?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-24-2017, 01:33 AM
Same question here. I upgraded one of my hard drives from 4TB to 6TB, but the additional 2TB show as unallocated space. I am using the standard SDR, not DDR.
05-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Sometimes, depending on existing disk sizes, adding only a single larger disk will not increase your usable capacity. It will instead reserve this newly-found space for future expansion. You would need to add two or more disks to increase your usable space.

This Capacity Calculator can help you visualize this...
http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/ca...http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/capacity-c

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
05-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Bummer! Oh, well. Will buy another drive and report with the results...
05-24-2017, 09:54 PM
I have replaced two of the drives with 8TB drives, so my setup now is three 4TB drives, plus two 8TB. When I check the capacity, I still get 12% of the total space as unallocated space.

Thoughts?
05-25-2017, 04:59 AM
With those drive capacities and using SDR, you should essentially have about 18 TB of usable storage. What do you show for total space available?

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
05-25-2017, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 03:57 PM by vinc.)
Correct, but a big chunk shows as "unallocated". Here is a screen grab...[Image: DROBO.jpeg?dl=0]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itf5bnnafv34d9...https://www.dropbox.com/s/itf5bnnafv34d9h/DROBO

(05-25-2017 04:59 AM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  With those drive capacities and using SDR, you should essentially have about 18 TB of usable storage. What do you show for total space available?
05-25-2017, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 04:19 PM by AzDragonLord.)
Strange indeed. I assume your firmware and dashboard are current?

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
05-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Correct, everything is up to date.

I have added an additional 8TB drive to see if that makes a difference, but still the same. Now it is 21.76TB total, with 26% of that showing as unallocated space.

(04-21-2017 01:36 PM)thomlamb Wrote:  I have a Drobo5n with a large amount of DASD across 5 drives. The 5N though is reporting 4TB of unallocated space. How do I get the 5N to use / recognize this space?

[Image: open?id=0B_uEv1Vu0Us5WnhUeFJ4QVMyYkk]

When I asked Drobo support this question there answer was to buy a new Drobo5N fill it with new drives migrate all of my data from the old 5n to the new 5n, and then reset the old 5n and then it should recognize all of the space. Sounds great if I had another $2,000 to through around.

Really need a solution to this issue that works within the existing 5N.