Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Elite & iMAC Sierra
04-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Drobo Elite & iMAC Sierra
Hi Guys.

I didn't need my Drobo Elite that I had been using at the office any longer to host VM's. So I thought I would bring it home to make it my music & recording storage device.

I have it on the network. I can see it and interact with it through the Drobo Dashboard through both of my PC's with no issues. The problem is all my music and recording software are on my iMAC!!

But I am having the issue others have of the discovery, even by IP address, just spinning and spinning on the iMAC. I have done a lot of reading and I just would like to clarify with you guys before I spend any money on this. I have disabled the firewall on the iMAC, I have updated JAVA as suggested.

I found this article... Using ATTO iSCSI with Drobo that talks about needing to get the new Xtend San ISCSI initiator ATTO 4.0 or newer

IF I want to use this Elite with an iMAC running Sierra (10.12.4) do I have to purchase this software for $195.00???

Thanks for any answers!!
Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2017, 07:15 AM
RE: Drobo Elite & iMAC Sierra
(04-18-2017 11:28 PM)admin@carterharding.com Wrote:  Hi Guys.

I didn't need my Drobo Elite that I had been using at the office any longer to host VM's. So I thought I would bring it home to make it my music & recording storage device.

I have it on the network. I can see it and interact with it through the Drobo Dashboard through both of my PC's with no issues. The problem is all my music and recording software are on my iMAC!!

But I am having the issue others have of the discovery, even by IP address, just spinning and spinning on the iMAC. I have done a lot of reading and I just would like to clarify with you guys before I spend any money on this. I have disabled the firewall on the iMAC, I have updated JAVA as suggested.

I found this article... Using ATTO iSCSI with Drobo that talks about needing to get the new Xtend San ISCSI initiator ATTO 4.0 or newer

IF I want to use this Elite with an iMAC running Sierra (10.12.4) do I have to purchase this software for $195.00???

Thanks for any answers!!
Michael

Sadly, Michael, that is the case with Drobo the Company and it's Elite line. See my reply to the post below this one entitled ' Can You Help With Formatting/iSCSI Clarification? '

It's never been real clear to me why Drobo backed away from supporting this. They used to - when the Elite model was first released. Now they just let users find out on their own.

Windows OS has iScsi support built in. That's why you see the Elite within the Windows OS. MacOS doesn't support this out of the box. You have to purchase the iScsi driver from ATTO or there's one other iScsi installer (do not recall the name of the company - go with ATTO). The version 4.x ATTO product is a little pricey, but once installed, works flawlessly.
04-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the response. I just wanted to verify before I spent the money. I did download the demo for the Studio Network Solutions globalSAN Initiator. It does connect and it is cheaper ($80 vs $200) but I think I would prefer for things to work with the Drobo Dashboard. So I think I will go that route.

Thanks for the information.
Michael
04-24-2017, 12:19 AM
I did want to come back and follow up on this for others that might follow this path.

I did go to the ATTO store and I did buy the iSCSI connector. ATTO Store Link

I downloaded it, installed it. Rebooted my iMac.

The first time I ran the Drobo Dashboard it wanted to update to the latest version 3.0.1 (89480). So I let it go through the process and reboot...again.

After this second reboot, when I ran the Drobo Dashboard the Elite showed up right away without me having to do anything. I had already deleted all the volumes so the unit was clean and ready to create a new volume. I was able to do so with no issues.

So yes it was kinda expensive to get the ATTO iSCSI connector, but to me it was very worth it. This one purchase and install made the process so easy for what I had been screwing around with for quite a while. While other options I looked at were cheaper, I tried demos and there was always some hassle involved. This ATTO solution was super easy, and most importantly for me, it showed the Elite unit in the Drobo Dashboard.

Good luck to anyone else has these issues connecting their legacy Drobo units to their Mac!!
05-25-2017, 01:11 PM
I can attest that I had the same kind of problems trying to use a Drobo B800i with a Mac Mini server and OS X 10.10. I purchased the SNS GlobalSan iSCSI initiator for $100, and was able to mount the B800i volume over the network. I have been using the mounted volume for Time Machine backups and as general cold storage. I still cannot see it in the Drobo DB if using Ethernet, but if I switch to USB it shows up just fine.