Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Port bonding on the 5N2...for a newbie
04-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Port bonding on the 5N2...for a newbie
Setting up my new 5N2, my first NAS device. Had a question about port bonding.

As you know, there are two 1GB Ethernet ports on the back of the 5N2. I understand they can act as a fail safe if one fails for whatever reason.

Would plugging them into my unmanaged switch have any benefit? Speed? Would I need to map both MAC to the same private IP? Different private IPs?

Or should I just stick with one ethernet cable to one ethernet port?

Using an airport Extreme, and a switch for all my devices on one network, utilizing a mac mini server. I would like to assign a static private IP on my network to the drobo.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2017, 09:49 PM
RE: Port bonding on the 5N2...for a newbie
A static IP is always a good way to simplify things. After banging my head on rocks trying to figure out port bonding on the 5N2 it turns out there's nothing to do aside from plugging both ports to the same switch and enabling the feature in the Drobo utility.

My router supports 802.3AD port aggregation, and I disabled the feature since it is not required for the type of bonding the drobo does.
05-10-2017, 07:52 PM
RE: Port bonding on the 5N2...for a newbie
(04-13-2017 11:13 AM)nyc2pdx Wrote:  Setting up my new 5N2, my first NAS device. Had a question about port bonding.

As you know, there are two 1GB Ethernet ports on the back of the 5N2. I understand they can act as a fail safe if one fails for whatever reason.

Would plugging them into my unmanaged switch have any benefit? Speed? Would I need to map both MAC to the same private IP? Different private IPs?

Or should I just stick with one ethernet cable to one ethernet port?

Using an airport Extreme, and a switch for all my devices on one network, utilizing a mac mini server. I would like to assign a static private IP on my network to the drobo.

Thanks!

You're only going to notice performance improvements when there are multiple writes/reads at the same time. It does provide a level of redundancy but you have a single switch/router. It's useful for me because there is a lot going on with my 5N2 so I benefit from that.

When you configure bonding in the dashboard, you can elect to give the "bond" a single static IP address. If you statically assign DHCP leases, it's not really a big deal to have a static IP on the Drobo. If you don't, then it's much more helpful.