Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5N and Amcrest surveillance cameras
04-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Drobo 5N and Amcrest surveillance cameras
I want to setup my Drobo 5N to record and store the output from several Amcrest surveillance cameras but cannot figure out the settings. According to the camera setup, i can set it up as FTP or NAS. I can't get either to work.

The available FTP settings are:

Below is an explanation of the fields on the FTP settings tab:
●Enable: This checkbox allows the user to enable FTP uploading for the camera’s recorded media.
●Server Address: This field allows the user to designate a DDNS address for the FTP server.
●Port: This field allows the user to designate the port number for the FTP server.
●User Name: This field allows the user to input the username used to login to the FTP server.
●Password: This field allows the user to input the password used to login to the FTP server.
●Remote Directory: This field allows the user to specify a remote directory on the FTP to send the recorded media to.

The available NAS setting are:

●Enable: This checkbox allows the user to enable NAS uploading for the camera’s recorded media.
●Server Address: This field allows the user to designate a DDNS address for the NAS server/device.
●Remote Directory: This field allows the user to specify a remote directory on the NAS to send the recorded media to.

I can't seem to get either to work. Mostly because I don't know what goes in each slot but also because I don't know which is the best choice and if I need to do anything on the Drobo.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2017, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 02:08 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo 5N and Amcrest surveillance cameras
hi again ajkhunter, Smile
as far as know, a 5n does not come with an ftp service already running... one could be set up to use it (even with a computer), but it is probably best if your cameras are all within an internal network along with the 5n, because am pretty sure ftp transfers will be in the clear.

if you have not specifically created an ftp server (such as via your computer with drobo directly attached to it within), then if you try selecting Nas, what happens if you put in the network address of your 5n where it said server address?

If the camera or camera software will be trying to simply connect, without any login names, then it may default to the Public 5n share, in which case if you try making a folder there called "camera" without quotes, and try with 1 camera connected as a test, does it start saving files in there treating it as the remote directory?

a few other things to bear in mind could be these:
- free space considerations (is there enough space on the drobo or drobo share, for not just 1 camera, but for all of them)
- bandwidth considerations (is the data rate of all the cameras simultaneously going to be too much?)
- camera conflicts (it might be worth having each camera configures to use its own folder, like camera1, camera2, etc, just in case they all try to use the same default filenaming convention, and might overwrite each other's files?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply