Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo FS: drive bay missing in action
04-04-2017, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 02:29 PM by cmkl.)
Drobo FS: drive bay missing in action
I have a five bay Drobo FS that recently started showing a yellow light on the top drive slot, which was occupied by a 2TB Seagate mechanism.

But the message it gave me was "Add a drive", not "Bad drive" or "Drive failure imminent" or "head for the hills" or anything like that.

I have tried:
  • reseating the drive
  • using compressed air on the empty drive slot, then re-seating the drive
  • swapping the mechanism for a new, known-good drive no effect. The drive light remains yellow.

Is this a Drobo hardware problem? Can I expect it to limp along for a few more years or is it a sign that total failure is imminent?

I should add that I removed the Seagate mechanism and was able to reformat and mount it on my desktop PC, without any issues.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2017, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 10:49 AM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo FS: drive bay missing in action
hi cmkl,
can i check if your drobo fs has any drive bays actually empty (for example before you removed the 2TB seagate)?

in case another bay was actually empty, it could have just been that the drobo (and possibly dashboard too) recognised that it had reached at least 85% full, and was marking a bay as solid yellow? (usually one of the smallest drives from the top is marked in yellow, though could be times where another is marked)

if another drive bay was empty, then i think you could just add another drive in, and then after that is assimilated into the diskpack, what does the drobo and dashboard then show you?
(if you do happen to have a rebuild triggered, with flashing yellow and green lights, then that is ok, though may take about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have on your drobo)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply