Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Old Drobo Crashed thinking of 5c but have question
03-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Old Drobo Crashed thinking of 5c but have question
had a Drobo that got thrown into storage (bad divorce) ...it killed it. I think the drives are good... If I buy a 5c can I put the old drives in it?

charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2017, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2017 05:23 PM by Paul.)
RE: Old Drobo Crashed thinking of 5c but have question
hi charles, if the old 5c diskpack is ok, you could try the diskpack migration process, for example as mentioned here:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/
(according to the above page though, you could go from 5c to a 5d, depending on what you found cheaper on sale, though when my drobo-s-gen2 power switch broke, i was able to successfully migrate my diskpack into another similar model and access all data again)

another test you could try as well, would be to try powering up your old 5d when empty, just to see if dashboard can still find it, but if it does, please stop there...

(important: please remember that diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety, and only when power is all Off and cables unplugged)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-04-2017, 07:57 AM
Hi Paul

Took the risk and purchased the 5c... I have put the old drives in from my other drobo and the health shows good but I am getting a warning ....disks are incompatible with firmware....I have updated firmware but no luck

any advice?

charles
04-05-2017, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 11:25 AM by Paul.)
ah this sounds more promising in the sense of the diskpack showing healthy, though can i check which version you have updated to (and if after restarting the computer, drobo and dashboard, if it shows the same version as the one on this page?
http://www.drobo.com/docs/start-5c/

am not sure where you got the new 5c from, though if it was from drobo, i think it would be good to raise a ticket and to get in touch with the support team, as they may be able to help you migrate across. (they would most probably need some more info about which drives you are using, and if you get a chance to find that out, please also feel free to post the list here too, but please do not generate any diagnostic logs unless they mention as there may be a specific stage to generate them)

by the way, can you remember which drobo you took the diskpack drives from?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)