Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5n2 port bonding with Netgear R8500 and drive migration issue.
04-04-2017, 12:29 PM
RE: 5n2 port bonding with Netgear R8500 and drive migration issue.
(04-04-2017 12:19 PM)jrinehart76 Wrote:  Great news! Glad you got it working!

My philosophy on Jumbo frames has always been they aren't needed unless it's iSCSI storage traffic (think iSCSI datastores in VMware) or 10G (or greater) ethernet. In your network, Jumbo frames are just an added level of complexity with no gain. And keep in mind, anything that would use the Drobo, assuming Jumbo, would also need to support MTU 9000 and greater. Which further complicates things compatibility wise, especially if you are hanging a WAP off your switch/router with wireless clients accessing the Drobo.

Of course, there isn't anything wrong with doing Jumbo Frames. Just and added layer of complexity that I wouldn't want at home. If you try it and you get faster/better results, please share!

Understood. Since I'm happy with the performance for now I'll leave it off. Now I have to figure how to clone one drobo to the other because my file system is apparently the old one, capped at 16TB. This has not been the easy upgrade I was hoping for. lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2017, 11:06 AM
nice one guys and thanks jreinhart,

i also seem to remember some posts about being probably best not to use jumbo frames (but if you search for the phrase jumbo, you can probably get the fuller picture - just dont search for mumbo jumbo, as i believe that phrase will also exist) Smile

btw sbushman just linking to your other post with an idea about the cloning:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Heard back from support regarding the "bonding" option.

"Hello Jason,

Thank you for updating
This is expected behavior of the Drobo as its deigned to manage it's self and does not know how to manage a a managed router."

So, for those with managed switches, STATIC aggregation is the only option. Those that don't have a managed switch (or consumer "router") need not worry as it'll work right out of the box. I've verified this with another switch that I have that doesn't support LACP/LAG and it just works.

@Paul glad to help when I can!