Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Drobo 5N2
05-11-2017, 10:30 AM
RE: New Drobo 5N2
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna do a backup, reset, and restore as well based on this info!

- Thanx
- Jon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 07:36 PM
I am a longtime Drobo owner...from the first models, to the FS, the 5N, and now the 5N2. The 5N2 is a horribly rolled out and flawed launch.

There is ONE thing that should be flawless, or nearly so, on every NAS device -- file transfers. EVERY Drobo I have owned has done this well, until the 5N2. Like daren, I too am having massive reboot / crash issues with rsyncs across to/from the 5N2. This isn't a minor edge case that happens once in a blue moon, this is an easily replicable problem that would come up in any reasonable testing of common use cases.

Drobo support -- the first time I have ever had to use them -- has been atrocious and borderline useless.

This device has a problem -- I hope it's simply a firmware bug that gets fixed, but how on earth can I trust this device with my data when it is so fragile that a simple rsync crashes it? How can I use this for things that are important to me?

Every new product has issues, I agree. But Drobo is not a new company, and in many ways that matter, the 5N2 isn't a new platform or device. BASIC file transfer should be job one and it should "just work". Period. There are no excuses for charging $500 for a NAS device that can't get this one thing right.

Drobo -- if you do read these forums, you need to seriously take a look at the crashing issues on the 5N2. They are serious. They are significant. They make the device almost unusable for some of us.

I love the IDEA of a Drobo. I want to continue to use Drobos. I've had amazing experiences with Drobos -- like Kunal, my 5N has worked flawlessly for years.

Drobo: FIX THESE ISSUES WITH THE 5N2.

(05-10-2017 12:01 PM)kunal.kapoor Wrote:  I'm surprised about this. Most likely it will be solved by a new firmware. There is always a risk when purchasing a new product that there will be teething problems. Having said that I've had my 5N since mid 2013 and it has been flawless.

I was also considering making the move to the 5N2. However, my 5N had a 16TB volume (i.e. setup before firmware 3.5.2) which would have resulted in performance degradation if the disk pack was migrated to a 5N2.

So I undertook the tedious task of migrating all the data to an external hard drive (about 8TB). Then I reset the 5N which formatted the unit and set it up under the new filesystem that supports 64TB volumes. If this is now migrated to a 5N2 there will be no performance degradation, according to the Drobo support team. I transferred all the data back to the 5N. What I have noticed is that the performance under the post 3.5.2 firmware file system on the 5N has dramatically sped up transfers on the unit both via ethernet and via wifi. Specifically, wifi transfer speeds have doubled. I was pretty shocked.

So all in all, while I still intend to move to the 5N2 at some point, I am happy to wait until the product has a more mature firmware and perhaps when it is discounted. Doing the reformat on the 5N makes it feel like a new product, a nice surprise.

(05-10-2017 07:01 AM)daren Wrote:  Jon,

I received my 5N2 a couple weeks ago with the intent to upgrade from my 5N, and it's not been working well for me.

I have several Macs connecting via SMB. I purchased two brand new 4TB WD Reds to use with the new NAS, and ported two older drives of the same model from my 5N. Both are connected to a gig switch, as is the Mac mini which is "masterminding" the transfers.

Migrating has been a huge pain, because the 5N2 disconnects and/or spontaneously rebooted in the middle of rsync transfers for no obvious reason. In addition, according to the NAS one of the brand new drives failed shortly after being put into Slot 4 of the 5N2. I returned it to Newegg and got a replacement. The new drive failed IMMEDIATELY upon being inserted into S4. Suspicious at this point, I moved it to a different slot and it seems to be working fine.

At this point I contacted Drobo Tech Support, laid out the symptoms, and halted my migration. They provided no advice to me regarding my issues, and the only real question was "Have you tried AFP?" (No, I'm not using AFP, because I've had apps lock up completely under Sierra using AFP access. Sierra + AFP + NAS is a recipe for fail, AFAIK.)

Last night, under instructions from Tech Support, I tried another large rsync move. The 5N2 not only disconnected, it locked up entirely: not visible to Drobo Dashboard, could not mount volumes, could not ping it. I reported my experience to Tech Support and submitted another diagnostic report, and I'm currently waiting for a response.

Not a happy customer right now.
05-13-2017, 11:39 PM
Wow. Ok, scary. How could the 5N2 make it through QA? Does Drobo HAVE QA?!

- Jon
05-15-2017, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2017 04:48 PM by Paul.)
hi hjd,
just as a question, would you be able to try another cable (in case not tried already) just to see if it makes a difference?
(possibly a cable of the same type that works ok on another drobo if applicable)

i only ask this as its good to test, but also another user recently found dust or fluff on their thunderbolt connector, (which had been disconnecting or unmounting often) and cleaning the cable stopped all problems for them, for example as mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-23-2017, 09:29 AM
So I went through the backup, reset, and restore process to ensure that my 5N was optimized.

Now, I've noticed a new behavior on my 5N. When I do a copy to or copy from my Drobo, I get long pauses during the copy.

I never saw this happen previous to going through that process! Weird. Any thoughts?

- Jon
05-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Hi Jon,

Can you be more specific with your statement. How long are the pauses? Are the pauses at the beginning of the transfer, are they during etc.? How are the transfer speeds once the transfer initiates? My transfers start at a slower speed but quickly ramp up (in about 5 secs) to saturating the gigabit connection on a wired connection. Wireless is very similar but tops out at about 60 MB/s.

Additionally, everyone's setup is different. I have an SSD in the accelerator bay and my Drobo connects to a gigabit switch with a CAT 7 cable. What is your setup?

I would wait a couple of days for the Drobo to run it's internal maintenance cycles and also try a different ethernet cable.

Cheers
05-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Hi Kunal,

The pauses are maybe 20-30 seconds in duration.

I have a 64GB SSD in the accelerator. I'm hardwired with a CAT 7 cable also. I'm going through a switch, but that's it. No additional hops.

The thing is, that this seemed to start after I went through that process. I wasn't getting pauses previous to that...

- Jon
05-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Hi Jon,

That's strange. I've done numerous types of file transfers since I went through the reset/restore process:

- Folders Filled with Docs
- Folders Filled with Media (Videos, Music)
- Streaming through Plex

etc.

The only time I had a delay at the beginning of the transfer, like yours, was when I transferred a 12 GB VMware virtual disk. Otherwise it has been flawless. I would recommend that you keep tinkering with some of the variables to see if it subsides i.e. Shut it down and take out the SSD, reboot and try the transfer. Then shut it down, reinsert the SSD and try. You might also have a hard disk that might be about to go bad but isn't quite there yet.

On the other hand have you experienced any improvement with transfer speeds and disk latency after the reset (once the transfer gets going)?
05-26-2017, 09:51 AM
(05-25-2017 05:40 PM)jbauer Wrote:  Hi Kunal,

The pauses are maybe 20-30 seconds in duration.

I have a 64GB SSD in the accelerator. I'm hardwired with a CAT 7 cable also. I'm going through a switch, but that's it. No additional hops.

The thing is, that this seemed to start after I went through that process. I wasn't getting pauses previous to that...

- Jon

Doublecheck your IP addresses. I remember getting crazy pauses a few years back and it was a collision between IP addresses (for some reason, my router kept assigning an IP address to the Drobo that matched another computer on my network). I believe I had to specify a static IP on the Drobo itself to get around it.