Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Drobo 5N2
04-04-2017, 01:24 PM
RE: New Drobo 5N2
(04-04-2017 01:16 PM)jbauer Wrote:  nyc2pdx -> you should contact Mihir Shah.

I listened to him talk about "A maniacal focus on customer support..."

See here: https://www.facebook.com/Drobo/videos/10...https://www.facebook.com/Drobo/videos/10154314

I'd say that your incident means that so far, they are not following through on that promise...

I'd be furious if I were you. That's just unacceptable, and shocking - to be honest.

- Jon

Yes, after I didn't get a response from the tech agent by late morning yesterday, I contacted him on FB, right under a post for a review of the 5N2...my comment was the only comment, and he replied within an hour. I've got tons of tech support on it now, and it is like ants to sugar. So far, we have tested the firmware, IP settings...and lots of things in between, but the problem remains. All transfers fail on any files/folders greater than about 20gb, and an eventual spontaneous reboot. Development noted a kernel error, but they are trying to determine if it is hardware of software related. At least I am getting some attention now. Smile Will update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Ok, glad to hear that!
04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Just got the RMA started on it. Hopefully they are going to expedite given the issues I had.
04-13-2017, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2017 10:31 AM by nyc2pdx.)
Update on this....

Got the replacement 5N2, and it is better than the first unit, but doesn't resolve the issue.

So, on the first unit, I would get about 60gb into the file transfer (I'm upgrading from the Gen 3 to 5N2) and it would reboot.

Now, I am about to get to between 200-300gb before it reboots. The new unit is also faster, quieter, and recognized faster in the dashboard. So, I do think my prior unit was defective in some way.

I've let support know and am just moving data over in chunks of 150gb-200gb. Seems to not be a problem, and no reboots.

EDIT: Oh, and after contacting Mr. Shah, support was very responsive, and they did sent the replacement to me on two day air instead of ground. So the squeaky wheel does get the oil...
04-17-2017, 09:38 AM
What the heck! That's kinda scary. Is anyone else that is reading this having similar issues?

- Jon
04-17-2017, 10:20 AM
I did finally get everything moved over to the new Drobo, but I did it in 200gb parts. All is working well. No word from Development on my issue yet, but the new drobo is working. Since I would never have a need to transfer such a massive amount of data again, I'm not too worried.

On the plus side, Plex is working great on it, and I have noticed a nice uptick in performance...no more buffering, and media begins immediately.
05-10-2017, 07:01 AM
(04-17-2017 09:38 AM)jbauer Wrote:  What the heck! That's kinda scary. Is anyone else that is reading this having similar issues?

- Jon

Jon,

I received my 5N2 a couple weeks ago with the intent to upgrade from my 5N, and it's not been working well for me.

I have several Macs connecting via SMB. I purchased two brand new 4TB WD Reds to use with the new NAS, and ported two older drives of the same model from my 5N. Both are connected to a gig switch, as is the Mac mini which is "masterminding" the transfers.

Migrating has been a huge pain, because the 5N2 disconnects and/or spontaneously rebooted in the middle of rsync transfers for no obvious reason. In addition, according to the NAS one of the brand new drives failed shortly after being put into Slot 4 of the 5N2. I returned it to Newegg and got a replacement. The new drive failed IMMEDIATELY upon being inserted into S4. Suspicious at this point, I moved it to a different slot and it seems to be working fine.

At this point I contacted Drobo Tech Support, laid out the symptoms, and halted my migration. They provided no advice to me regarding my issues, and the only real question was "Have you tried AFP?" (No, I'm not using AFP, because I've had apps lock up completely under Sierra using AFP access. Sierra + AFP + NAS is a recipe for fail, AFAIK.)

Last night, under instructions from Tech Support, I tried another large rsync move. The 5N2 not only disconnected, it locked up entirely: not visible to Drobo Dashboard, could not mount volumes, could not ping it. I reported my experience to Tech Support and submitted another diagnostic report, and I'm currently waiting for a response.

Not a happy customer right now.
05-10-2017, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 02:25 PM by kunal.kapoor.)
I'm surprised about this. Most likely it will be solved by a new firmware. There is always a risk when purchasing a new product that there will be teething problems. Having said that I've had my 5N since mid 2013 and it has been flawless.

I was also considering making the move to the 5N2. However, my 5N had a 16TB volume (i.e. setup before firmware 3.5.2) which would have resulted in performance degradation if the disk pack was migrated to a 5N2.

So I undertook the tedious task of migrating all the data to an external hard drive (about 8TB). Then I reset the 5N which formatted the unit and set it up under the new filesystem that supports 64TB volumes. If this is now migrated to a 5N2 there will be no performance degradation, according to the Drobo support team. I transferred all the data back to the 5N. What I have noticed is that the performance under the post 3.5.2 firmware file system on the 5N has dramatically sped up transfers on the unit both via ethernet and via wifi. Specifically, wifi transfer speeds have doubled. I was pretty shocked.

So all in all, while I still intend to move to the 5N2 at some point, I am happy to wait until the product has a more mature firmware and perhaps when it is discounted. Doing the reformat on the 5N makes it feel like a new product, a nice surprise.

(05-10-2017 07:01 AM)daren Wrote:  Jon,

I received my 5N2 a couple weeks ago with the intent to upgrade from my 5N, and it's not been working well for me.

I have several Macs connecting via SMB. I purchased two brand new 4TB WD Reds to use with the new NAS, and ported two older drives of the same model from my 5N. Both are connected to a gig switch, as is the Mac mini which is "masterminding" the transfers.

Migrating has been a huge pain, because the 5N2 disconnects and/or spontaneously rebooted in the middle of rsync transfers for no obvious reason. In addition, according to the NAS one of the brand new drives failed shortly after being put into Slot 4 of the 5N2. I returned it to Newegg and got a replacement. The new drive failed IMMEDIATELY upon being inserted into S4. Suspicious at this point, I moved it to a different slot and it seems to be working fine.

At this point I contacted Drobo Tech Support, laid out the symptoms, and halted my migration. They provided no advice to me regarding my issues, and the only real question was "Have you tried AFP?" (No, I'm not using AFP, because I've had apps lock up completely under Sierra using AFP access. Sierra + AFP + NAS is a recipe for fail, AFAIK.)

Last night, under instructions from Tech Support, I tried another large rsync move. The 5N2 not only disconnected, it locked up entirely: not visible to Drobo Dashboard, could not mount volumes, could not ping it. I reported my experience to Tech Support and submitted another diagnostic report, and I'm currently waiting for a response.

Not a happy customer right now.
05-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Thanks for that info, Kunal!

I'm wondering if that process would help me with the speed that I'm getting on my 5N... Not sure how to determine my current speed. How are you measuring? It sounds like the improvement is related to using 64TB volumes? I have 16TB in total, in my 5N (4 4TB hard drives). How can I determine if that process you did would be helpful for me to do?

- Thanx!
- Jon
05-10-2017, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 04:12 PM by kunal.kapoor.)
Hi Jon,

I saw (on average) about 20 MB/s jump on ethernet speed and about a 40 MB/s jump on wifi speed. I measured this through the activity monitor on my Mac under the network tab. I also have an SSD in the accelerator bay and it seems to be better optimized. I have gotten higher transfer peaks than ever before.

I think the improvement is related to the 64TB volume because the underlying linux filesystem on the Drobo has been updated to ext4 whereas before it was ext2/3. The ext4 filesystem has a speed advantage per my understanding.

The only way to test this out would be by actually doing what I did (it took me a few days, it was tedious). I was not expecting it. I did it because I was anticipating a move to the 5N2 down the line and wanted that process to be seamless without performance degredation. It has renewed my love of my 5N.

Cheers

Edit: P.S. I found this. https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/aa-01867

(05-10-2017 12:29 PM)jbauer Wrote:  Thanks for that info, Kunal!

I'm wondering if that process would help me with the speed that I'm getting on my 5N... Not sure how to determine my current speed. How are you measuring? It sounds like the improvement is related to using 64TB volumes? I have 16TB in total, in my 5N (4 4TB hard drives). How can I determine if that process you did would be helpful for me to do?

- Thanx!
- Jon