Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Drobo 5N2
03-28-2017, 04:41 PM
RE: New Drobo 5N2
Yeah, I decided to stick with my 5N, after all.

- Jon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2017, 04:10 AM
Same here. Perhaps when I NEED to replace it I will get he newer model.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
03-29-2017, 11:45 AM
I got the new 5N2 delivered yesterday. I think I got a dud. Keeps rebooting whenever I try to put data on it. I have a Gen 3 now, and am trying to transfer all my data from that to the new 5N2 (can't do a migration, only off fashioned copy and paste). After a few minutes, power light goes Yellow and then it reboots. I'm working with support, but I have a feeling there is an RMA in my future.
03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
(03-29-2017 11:45 AM)nyc2pdx Wrote:  I got the new 5N2 delivered yesterday. I think I got a dud. Keeps rebooting whenever I try to put data on it. I have a Gen 3 now, and am trying to transfer all my data from that to the new 5N2 (can't do a migration, only off fashioned copy and paste). After a few minutes, power light goes Yellow and then it reboots. I'm working with support, but I have a feeling there is an RMA in my future.

Ouch.
03-29-2017, 11:48 AM
(03-29-2017 11:47 AM)jbauer Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 11:45 AM)nyc2pdx Wrote:  I got the new 5N2 delivered yesterday. I think I got a dud. Keeps rebooting whenever I try to put data on it. I have a Gen 3 now, and am trying to transfer all my data from that to the new 5N2 (can't do a migration, only off fashioned copy and paste). After a few minutes, power light goes Yellow and then it reboots. I'm working with support, but I have a feeling there is an RMA in my future.

Ouch.

Tell me about it. Not happy.
04-03-2017, 11:54 AM
I had a 5N for about 2 weeks before the 5N2 came out. I RMA'd back to Newegg and purchased the 5N2. I do notice a speed increase and if I had another Drobo, the Drobo to Drobo sync would be cool. I'm seeing about 20Mb/s faster write times. And, with 2 NICs, I don't see a performance hit when multiple writes/reads are happening at the same time. I'm not sold on the dual NIC yet. I think the first firmware version still has some bugs in that regard. Then again, it could be that it doesn't play well with my switch since it's really looking for a dumb unmanaged switch.

Would it be worth it if I had my 5N for a while? Probably not. Would it be if they offered $100 for existing 5N customers plus free shipping? Maybe. There isn't anything that "wows" me about the "new" platform, possibly the cool GelSkin? (althought I don't have it yet LOL)
04-03-2017, 12:06 PM

Update on this. So I spoke to support and they told me that the problem was that I was not binding the both ports into one IP. So I corrected that, and mapped both MAC to the same port. Worked for about an hour. Then, no matter what I did, the drobo refused to appear in the dashboard. Support said they would send an RMA and it was something about the stack not registering...but get this...

They told me that because they are doing a replacement, any support for it would be ONLY via email-no phone calls allowed. What? Really? And, the support tech needed to get approval from management to release a new drobo to me. Huh? 4 days later, and I am still waiting on that approval. I'm really stumped: I get a faulty $500 unit, and a replacement has to be approved by senior management, and MY support options are limited? Really?

I should have had a new unit overnighted to me within 24 hours. Sure, I don't mind them putting a hold on my card for the return unit. But I'm sitting here waiting for a replacement with a $500 paperweight and $1200 in HDDs.

Not happy. This is not customer service.
04-03-2017, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2017 01:13 PM by jrinehart76.)
(04-03-2017 12:06 PM)nyc2pdx Wrote:  

Update on this. So I spoke to support and they told me that the problem was that I was not binding the both ports into one IP. So I corrected that, and mapped both MAC to the same port. Worked for about an hour. Then, no matter what I did, the drobo refused to appear in the dashboard. Support said they would send an RMA and it was something about the stack not registering...but get this...

They told me that because they are doing a replacement, any support for it would be ONLY via email-no phone calls allowed. What? Really? And, the support tech needed to get approval from management to release a new drobo to me. Huh? 4 days later, and I am still waiting on that approval. I'm really stumped: I get a faulty $500 unit, and a replacement has to be approved by senior management, and MY support options are limited? Really?

I should have had a new unit overnighted to me within 24 hours. Sure, I don't mind them putting a hold on my card for the return unit. But I'm sitting here waiting for a replacement with a $500 paperweight and $1200 in HDDs.

Oh shoot. Maybe I should've paid the extra and went with the Synology 1515+ ....

I submitted a ticket about a network issue myself but I resolved it on my own (though no reply from support). I hope this isn't what we should expect going foward.
04-03-2017, 01:18 PM
(04-03-2017 01:07 PM)jrinehart76 Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 12:06 PM)nyc2pdx Wrote:  

Oh shoot. Maybe I should've paid the extra and went with the Synology 1515+ ....

I submitted a ticket about a network issue myself but I resolved it on my own (though no reply from support). I hope this isn't what we should expect going foward.

I just got a call from Drobo support that they think it is a kernel issue. Sending to the dev team to figure out if it is a software or hardware issue.
04-04-2017, 01:16 PM
nyc2pdx -> you should contact Mihir Shah.

I listened to him talk about "A maniacal focus on customer support..."

See here: https://www.facebook.com/Drobo/videos/10...https://www.facebook.com/Drobo/videos/10154314

I'd say that your incident means that so far, they are not following through on that promise...

I'd be furious if I were you. That's just unacceptable, and shocking - to be honest.

- Jon