Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Disk not ejected properly
03-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Disk not ejected properly
In the last 3 days I am getting the following message when shutting down my Drobo 5D: Disk Not Ejected Properly (Eject Drobo 5D before disconnecting or turning it off). I am getting this message even though I am shutting down the Drobo via the Drobo Dashboard in a safe way. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2017, 05:24 PM
RE: Disk not ejected properly
hi xander,
can i check if you are connecting your 5d directly to the computer, such as via a direct usb cable (or is is possibly going through a hub or adapter?)

it might also be the cable having a problem, (which could be tested out with another cable if you have one).
or maybe something to do with the mac sleeping or napping (if you have that?)

on windows, i always try to use dashboard to shutdown a drobo, and then disconect it, and that pretty much works fine for me, but whenever a program crashes or something similar, i usually run a maintenance checkdisk on each volume i have 1 at a time.

maybe for you, it might be worth running a mac equivalent maintenance check, just in case there is a flag set (or dirty bit) which might need a maintenance to fix it.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-21-2017, 05:08 AM
Hi Paul,
Yes, my Drobo 5D is directly connected to my Mac. Also, I switched cables but I am getting the same message. My Mac is not taking naps, so this should also not be the cause of the message.

What is this maintenance program you are mentioning? Is it from Drobo, Apple or 3rd party?

Cheers,
Xander

(03-20-2017 05:24 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi xander,
can i check if you are connecting your 5d directly to the computer, such as via a direct usb cable (or is is possibly going through a hub or adapter?)

it might also be the cable having a problem, (which could be tested out with another cable if you have one).
or maybe something to do with the mac sleeping or napping (if you have that?)

on windows, i always try to use dashboard to shutdown a drobo, and then disconect it, and that pretty much works fine for me, but whenever a program crashes or something similar, i usually run a maintenance checkdisk on each volume i have 1 at a time.

maybe for you, it might be worth running a mac equivalent maintenance check, just in case there is a flag set (or dirty bit) which might need a maintenance to fix it.
03-22-2017, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 04:41 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the info xander,

for the maintenance part, you could try the in-built apple one, which might be disk utility or cocktail (i dont actually have a mac myself) Smile but there is also another 3rd party tool called diskwarrior if you happen to have access to that, it is usually pretty good for macs (though not free).

from what you mention, if it is directly-attached, and there is no sleeping or napping, it might be worth checking some of the other power-management features, just in case something is lowering power or disconnecting the port in times of inactivity?

btw which cable were you using, was it a usb or was it thunderbolt. (and also when you tried another cable in case you tried like for like, maybe a quick test trying a different method, and different port could be worth trying out when you get a chance?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
04-12-2017, 12:03 PM
I am having a similar issue. My Drobo 5D is connected to my Mac through the USB 3.0 cable that came with it. I am getting the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" when I am turning it on and it doesn't mount. Then when I finally get it to mount, I get the message.
04-12-2017, 03:17 PM
hi thx1965,
can i check if any of the ideas i mentioned in the 2nd posting (initially for xander) have been tried by you when you get a chance, or to see in case anything like that also applies for you too?

also, how do you usually close down the drobo and computer? (are you doing that via dashboard before shutting down for the day, or are you possibly using something like sleep mode?)

05-14-2017, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2017 07:51 PM by pweiler.)
(03-19-2017 01:46 PM)xander_jansen Wrote:  In the last 3 days I am getting the following message when shutting down my Drobo 5D: Disk Not Ejected Properly (Eject Drobo 5D before disconnecting or turning it off). I am getting this message even though I am shutting down the Drobo via the Drobo Dashboard in a safe way. Any thoughts?

My Drobo 5D loaded with 5 4TB hard drives began to do the same thing several weeks ago. It would drop off my Mac Desktop with the error message Disk Not Ejected Properly. (I always disconnected my Drobo properly using the Drobo Dashboard before I shut the Mac down at night.) But the unscheduled Drobo disconnections became more and more frequent. I eventually had to reboot the computer and power up the Drobo to get it to reappear. Finally even this failed to work.

This weekend I took a close look at the Thunderbolt ports on the Drobo and the Thunderbolt connection cable ends. I noticed a lot of dust had collected in the ports on the Drobo. While it was powered off, I blew out the ports with canned air. I did the same with the ends of the Thunderbolt cable. The Drobo has begun to work properly again. It has been a few days now but no ejections or disconnects.

I keeping my fingers crossed. Hope this is helpful to others.
05-15-2017, 04:27 PM
thanks for your info pweiler,
am not sure about the firewire or thunderbolt connectors, (my latest usb connector was quite a tight fit), though maybe trying your suggestion or another cable can help others in some cases.