Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dying Thunderbolt port?
03-17-2017, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 09:07 PM by rpassavant.)
Dying Thunderbolt port?
I've been having a devil of a time with my Mini disappearing from Dashboard, Finder, and Disk Utility.

It's been reliably connected to my iMac for quite some time but it's now just dropping with alarming regularity, and I can't seem to get it to connect today.

I have tried switching the Thunderbolt ports on both the iMac and the back of the mini, and I have tried both Thunderbolt ports on a MacBook Pro - but I simply can't get it to mount.

The disks all appear good (based on the green lights on the front) and no amount of reboots to the mini itself or either computer seem to matter.

I do have another drive connected to the Thunderbolt ports on the iMac, and it does work on both ports and is not dropping, so I am 99.999% sure it's the Thunderbolt port on the Mini.

I suppose it could be the cable too, because that's the only other consistent piece of hardware, but seems like a long shot for a cable to flake out and "die" but there are active circuits in there, so maybe?

I have updated the dashboard on both iMac and MBP to 3.0.1, and both are up to date in Sierra (the iMac is on 10.12.4 beta 7 and the MBP on 10.12.3 stable)

Any other ideas?

EDIT - I realized I still had the USB3 cable that came with the Mini, plugged it in and it fired right up. So either it's the Thunderbolt controller on the mini chassis or it's the cable. I'm going to keep it on the USB cable for awhile and see if it's stable before I try a new Thunderbolt cable
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2017, 05:56 PM
RE: Dying Thunderbolt port?
hi rpassavant,
i just posted on a similar thread where another user (with their 5d) had a similar issue of usb working but not thunderbolt)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

it might be the thunderbolt cable like you mentioned, and trying another one will be good to test, as well as different ports if possible.

am not sure if you have tried having the drobo as the only thunderbolt-connected device (and directly attached) as a test, and it might worth trying if you get a chance, but its good that at least usb is still working

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-27-2017, 01:17 PM
(03-20-2017 05:56 PM)Paul Wrote:  am not sure if you have tried having the drobo as the only thunderbolt-connected device (and directly attached) as a test, and it might worth trying if you get a chance, but its good that at least usb is still working

I had tried it as the only thunderbolt device (wondering of the USB3-> TB adapter I was using for another hard drive was interfering) but it made no difference

I left it running for a full week on the USB port and it was still up and running after a couple of reboots including the update to 10.12.4, so that /should/ mean it's not the whole cabinet.

I just switched over to a new Apple branded TB cable from the included tb cable and I'll keep an eye on the stability
03-27-2017, 05:43 PM
ah ok, thanks for more info rpassavant,
please let us know how things go

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-29-2017, 07:31 PM
So far, so good.

The new cable seems to be stable - no clue how the other one got fried (since both the dropbox and iMac are on a APC UPS) but seems like something went bad.
03-31-2017, 05:01 PM
ah ok thats good to hear - fingers crossed it continues to be ok going forward

04-13-2017, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2017 12:44 PM by rpassavant.)
(03-29-2017 07:31 PM)rpassavant Wrote:  The new cable seems to be stable - no clue how the other one got fried (since both the dropbox and iMac are on a APC UPS) but seems like something went bad.

Well - that was short lived - the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" warnings are returning, which was the first symptom I had for this problem previously.

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202017-04-13%20at%201.36.45%20PM.png?dl=0]

I'm starting to think it might be time to switch devices completely.
04-14-2017, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2017 01:56 PM by Paul.)
hi, can i check if your devices (computer, drobo, and ups) are all ultimately connected to the same power source/ring?

is the usb cable still ok?
if it is only the thunderbolt cable connections that seem to have the problem, is it possible that the thunderbolt port on the drobo, or the mac, are faulty (in which case have you been able to successfully test the thunderbolt cable with another device or computer), or could it be that there is some kind of voltage differential between the ups setup, and the drobo and computer, that is somehow spiking or affect it?

05-01-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017 09:52 AM by rpassavant.)
(04-14-2017 01:56 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, can i check if your devices (computer, drobo, and ups) are all ultimately connected to the same power source/ring?

Yes - they are all on the same, it's impossible for me to move them off since the whole office is on a single circuit. But I'm only having issues with the drobo

Quote:is the usb cable still ok?

Not anymore - yesterday I was getting lots of frequent drops on the new TB cable so I switched it back to the USB and no-joy, still lots of crashes

Quote:if it is only the thunderbolt cable connections that seem to have the problem, is it possible that the thunderbolt port on the drobo, or the mac, are faulty (in which case have you been able to successfully test the thunderbolt cable with another device or computer), or could it be that there is some kind of voltage differential between the ups setup, and the drobo and computer, that is somehow spiking or affect it?

I've tried now two different TB cables in both ports to two both TB ports on the iMac and the TB ports on a MacBook Pro, and the USB port to both the iMac and MBP

I think it is now just the external interface side of the mini is fully dead. It appears to boot fine (based on LED progression, and green lights for each drive) but now I can't get it to appear in the finder or Dashboard on any computer.

I've got the vast majority of what was on it backed up externally so I think it's time to just give up on the poor thing and migrate to a Synology - which I was exploring already due to other changes I'm planning for my computing environment.

I was hoping to get a full backup today to a single external drive but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.
Quote:I think it is now just the external interface side of the mini is fully dead. It appears to boot fine (based on LED progression, and green lights for each drive) but now I can't get it to appear in the finder or Dashboard on any computer.

Now it gets stranger - the mini is now appearing in Dashboard (and disk utility) but the volume won't mount

I'm wondering if there is "something" I can do in the dashboard that will do "something" to the volume that will make it look fresh and new and mount just so I can get a backup?

I think I've got enough spare room that I could go from single disk to dual disk redundancy but I don't think that will impact the volume being reported to Finder...
Quote:Now it gets stranger - the mini is now appearing in Dashboard (and disk utility) but the volume won't mount

Disk utility couldn't repair the volume, but luckily TechToolPro could, so I got it to mount - debating investing in DiskWarrior since it's relatively cheap to ensure I can get everything off it.
05-02-2017, 07:53 PM
ah thanks for the updates rpassavant,
if you are able to get access to diskwarrior, i think it will definitely be worth a go, as it has fixed a lot of access problems for other users of drobo and even for other mac drives too,