Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dying Thunderbolt port?
05-03-2017, 07:00 PM
RE: Dying Thunderbolt port?
(05-02-2017 07:53 PM)Paul Wrote:  if you are able to get access to diskwarrior, i think it will definitely be worth a go, as it has fixed a lot of access problems for other users of drobo and even for other mac drives too,

I was able to get all my data off and synced, I've seen one eject since then but I can contribute it to plugging in another drive that I was going to try and run TechToolPro on as well.

Since I've already purchased the Synology (to replace some functions I'm actually doing on the iMac, like Plex) I'm going to blow away the partition and rebuild it completely.

I'd originally made it 16TB with growth in mind that is now not going to occur - I started with 4x750GB drives and then upgraded to 4x2TB - so when I rebuild it I think I'll just make the volume the "actual" size. By rebuilding from scratch all the volume data will be fresh and then I'll know for sure if it's going to be stable.

Then my grand plan is to daisy chain it off the USB3 port on the back of the Synology as a separate volume, which I can move to the MacBookPro over ThunderBolt when I need faster access to the Lightroom catalog (during a big import, and smart Preview build for example)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 07:18 PM
ah thanks for the update rpassavant, its good that you were able to access all the data again,

am not sure how daisy chaining via usb, off another device will go, though if you happen to have a spare usb port on your computer it might be best to directly give the mini its own comms channel, if possible.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-15-2017, 12:40 PM
(05-05-2017 07:18 PM)Paul Wrote:  am not sure how daisy chaining via usb, off another device will go, though if you happen to have a spare usb port on your computer it might be best to directly give the mini its own comms channel, if possible.

The first issue is I'm decommissioning the computer to which it is currently attached (an iMac acting somewhat as a home server) and in my new condo I won't have a fixed "workstation" like the iMac to which it can be connected.

Secondly, I will have a MacBook Pro but not sure I'll be using it in a place where I could have it physically wired, so ideally I want to convert the space to another NAS volume.

But now I've come upon an issue with the new Drobo Dashboard - it won't let me specify a volume size less than the 64TB maximum size supported by HFS+.

Infuriating - I know that for those anticipating growth it makes sense so you can just throw bigger drives in and the actual storage can grow towards the volume size. But I know that I won't be adding drives anytime soon (probably never) so I want to have say a 6-8TB volume with the 5.27TB usable space. But I can't find a way to specify volume size in Dashboard 3.0.1.

I may just sell the dang thing now that I know the issue was software volume and not a hardware problem.
05-15-2017, 04:56 PM
oh ok,
for the part about smaller volumes, you might be able to do that with dashboard v.2.5.3
(that worked for me, at least on a 5D das model, since i preferred, and needed 2TB max volume sizes)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)