Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13 month old Gen 3 will not power on
03-11-2017, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 08:12 PM by jwolford.)
13 month old Gen 3 will not power on
I have a 13 month old Drobo Gen 3 that is showing no signs of power. No lights, no fan, no spinning drives.

The power supply is testing 12 volts. I tried a second ps with the same results. It came back to life and worked for a month or so, then just went down again.

I've removed all cables, removed the drives, and attempted to power on the unit with no drives installed to no avail.

I contacted Drobo support who said because it was a month out of warranty I'd need to purchase Drobo help for a singled incident with no guarantee of resolution.

Has anyone else had issues with intermittent power to the chassis? Since Drobo is refusing any warranty on this, I am inclined to crack the enclosure open and see what's what.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2017, 03:48 PM
RE: 13 month old Gen 3 will not power on
I've just ordered a second Gen 3 to migrate the drives to. Since there is no way of checking the firmware version on the dead Drobo, what risk is there of losing data moving drives from a Gen 3 to Gen 3 with potentially mismatched firmware?
03-13-2017, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 08:12 PM by Paul.)
hi jwolford,
if your psu was ok and the hardware was having intermittent issues, the diskpack is probably ok.

when my drobo-s-gen2 had a power switch issue, i was able to successfully migrate my diskpack via the procedure as well, and was able to access my data again (despite not being able to update my diskpack firmware on the original since it was not available)

from a risk perspective, with the gen3 being relatively new, and if the new gen 3 has the latest version as per the migration procedure (for example linked below), then i think its pretty low.
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

if you wanted though, for peace of mind, you could clone your drives before doing that (if they had critical data etc), but i have seem some users mention dashboard popups or the drobo not doing anything with wrong firmware or diskpacks from incompatible devices.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence Paul. I've read quite a few of your helpful posts while perusing the forums recently. I did read through the migration page, and it's clear that firmware should be up to date on both Drobos.

The diskpack was healthy just a few days ago, so I feel pretty confident about the state of the data. I was running in Dual Redundancy mode and believe there was a yellow light indicating I was low on space.

The firmware on the failed Drobo is current to within the last month or so. It would be good to know how risky it is to migrate to another Gen 3 and if I should update the firmware on the new working enclosure before the migration. I am guessing I should just pay for a single instance of Drobohelp for this just in case I need it. But I am not convinced that services will give me any help that I can't get here given my circumstances.

Great suggestion about cloning the drives. That had not occurred to me. That would certainly be the safest way
03-15-2017, 08:45 PM
ah thanks for that, we all learn from others and try to help each other Smile

for the support instance, it's possible that a ticket could have a way of pre-checking the diskpack (possibly via a readonly mode) but if you do buy a new gen3 from drobo i think you get some fresh warranty though i always tried to get a drobocare with mine, and it did come in handy for me.

ddr is always good where possible, and your firmware sounds pretty up to date, and according to this pdf below, it seems as though you have the latest version if the last version released (v3.5.4) was last year about 4 months ago.
http://files.drobo.com/webrelease/drobo/...http://files.drobo.com/webrelease/drobo/Release-Notes-firmware-Drobo

even if you do clone the drives, i would still try to ensure that the replacement gen3 has the latest firmware, (and if any new firmware was updated, to also try to reboot the new drobo at least once just to make sure that it did take the new firmware), (before finally powering down and unplugging all cables etc for the migration process)

(one thing just to be careful of, as i know it can happen, is not to clone a blank drive onto the source) Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Hey, just wanted to report in that my failing Gen 3 Drobo decided to power on last week. I've been trying to power it on daily, the issue seemed intermittent as it had lost power before and it's clear the issue was not the power supply.

I verified that I had the latest firmware and the disk pack was healthy. Replacement Gen 3 arrived today with the current firmware already installed. Powered everything down, moved the drives to the new Drobo and I am up and running.

Thanks Paul for chiming in and being supportive. Things like this can be unnerving and communal support is very much appreciated.
03-24-2017, 09:08 PM
hi thats great news, jwolford Smile
am glad things were ok and you can access your data again.... yes community support is cool, they helped me back when i tried my first upgrade migrations etc, (for example via here below)

http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.ph
(probably best to read if you have more time, a bag of sweets, or are simply verifying some data backups) - or even all 3 Big Grin