Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
INFINITE REBOOT, THEN DRIVE FAILURE, NOW DATA PROTECTION IN PROCESS FOR TWO WEEKS!!!
03-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Sad INFINITE REBOOT, THEN DRIVE FAILURE, NOW DATA PROTECTION IN PROCESS FOR TWO WEEKS!!!
I have a Drobo Pro, 8 bays used attached to a Mac sunning Os X Server.

Drobo freezed, I rebooted the drobo and the computer to which it is attached.

Drobo entered into the famous infinite reboot loop... After several checks and options I read on this support page and some others, a drive failure appeared...

I replaced a 3TB disk with a new 4TB drive. Data protection in progress began... Drobo Dashbord could not see the volume, but it showed the disk space used. So somehow I guess Drobo Dashboard knows a volume exists...

More than a week with data protection in progress, but no sound of drives working. I rebooted drobo taking out one 2TB drive that has been inside for a long time, assuming it may be too old. All lights red, "too many drives removed" message appeared. So I turn it off, inserted the drive and then it showed a drive failure on another 2TB disk... I replaced it with a new 4TB drive, and then it returned into the data protection in progress with no access to the volume... I still see the spaced used, but can´t access it... It´s been there for a week... Not a lot of sounds of hard drives working on it.

So it has been almost 2 weeks on the data protection in progress messages... I even get email messages every once in a while... but still no access to the volume. I have not used any kind of disk utilies as I don´t want to mess up...

All 8 bays have a drive: 4 x 4TB, 3 x 3TB and 1 2TB Drive. Dual redundancy that results in a total space of 16.89TB. It shows a total used space of 11.31TB, 4.68TB free and a 919GB "sin asignar" (I'm from Mexico, so its on spanish... this would mean something like "not assigned").

Any idea if I can do something for this volumen to mount?
Is there a way to know if Drobo is efectively redistributing info?
How much time can a Drobo use on redistributing and protecting information considering the size of the volume?

Best,

Ozcar Ramirez.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 09:39 PM by Paul.)
RE: INFINITE REBOOT, THEN DRIVE FAILURE, NOW DATA PROTECTION IN PROCESS FOR TWO WEEKS!!!
hi oscar,
when a data protection process (or rebuild) takes place, it usually lasts for about 1 day per 1TB of data on it.

in your case, it sounds like it would probably need about 12 days to complete. when you did the reboot, am just wondering in case the data protection process needed to start from the begining again, and if this is true, i would try to leave it for at 'least' 12 days of uninterupted rebuild.

(in some newer models it may complete a bit faster, but in case anything was trying to access data on the drobo, that could also slow it down a bit too, so i think giving it some extra time will be worth it) - but can i check if at least 12 days have passed by, from when you last rebooted the drobo and it did another rebuild?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-10-2017, 11:07 PM
RE: INFINITE REBOOT, THEN DRIVE FAILURE, NOW DATA PROTECTION IN PROCESS FOR TWO WEEKS!!!
(03-10-2017 09:38 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi oscar,
when a data protection process (or rebuild) takes place, it usually lasts for about 1 day per 1TB of data on it.

in your case, it sounds like it would probably need about 12 days to complete. when you did the reboot, am just wondering in case the data protection process needed to start from the begining again, and if this is true, i would try to leave it for at 'least' 12 days of uninterupted rebuild.

(in some newer models it may complete a bit faster, but in case anything was trying to access data on the drobo, that could also slow it down a bit too, so i think giving it some extra time will be worth it) - but can i check if at least 12 days have passed by, from when you last rebooted the drobo and it did another rebuild?

Hi Paul.
Thanks for the feedback.
No, the process has not being so long without interrumption,. So I'll let it follow up and get back to you 16 days after the rebuild began... As the volumen has more than 16 tb of data.
Would it take longer since it had the dual redundancy option on?
Many thanks for your help.
Best,
Ozcar.
03-13-2017, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 08:34 PM by Paul.)
ok thanks ozcar for the information,
if you had dual redundancy, then i think it will still take the same time, because it said that your used space, was used with 11.31 TB of data.

(some drobos could finish a bit quicker, like newer models, but i think it is worth waiting to let it complete)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
05-01-2017, 10:54 PM
(03-13-2017 08:34 PM)Paul Wrote:  ok thanks ozcar for the information,
if you had dual redundancy, then i think it will still take the same time, because it said that your used space, was used with 11.31 TB of data.

(some drobos could finish a bit quicker, like newer models, but i think it is worth waiting to let it complete)

So it's been 7 weeks -yes, 7 weeks- with Drobo trying to recover my information, with no success. It has not been rebooted or turned off. So that makes 49 days of data protection... so I obviously believe this is not going anywhere...

Every couple of days I get an email with this exact same text:
"Data protection is in progress. You may continue accessing your data, but please do not remove any hard drives until the data protection process has completed." Drobo Dashboard can see the Drobo, can see the volume and the size of it but it won't mount.

Any ideas on this? Any way to know if this is really working or not apart from the orange-green blinking lights?

Thanks in advance...
05-02-2017, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 08:08 PM by Paul.)
hi ozcar, thanks for the update...
unfortunately it does seem that it is taking quite a long time to complete, and 7 weeks is definitely a lot more than would have expected...

one thing that could have happened, is that one or more drives are encountering multiple errors which could be causing the data protection process to keep running (or repeating) until no more errors trigger it.....
but, i think it would be a good idea to keep it for a few more days, and to raise a ticket with the support team if you can, to try and ascertain what is happening currently (and they may ask you to carry out some diagnostic logs to see what the problem is, though please do not try to generate any just yet, in case it needs to be generated at a particular stage)

am not sure if you are still within support warranty as the drobo pro seems fairly older now, though i believe you could raise a pay-per-incident ticket with the support team if you would wish, for drobohelp for example as mentioned here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01864

another option you could try, could be to try putting the drobo into a read only mode, for example as mentioned below, which has helped some users to at least be able to access lots of data again to copy data to somewhere, though usually it is for reboot loops, rather than data protection loops, though may help....
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

but if you do not have any backups of critical data it would probably be best to try a ticket first, in case there are multiple errors on multiple drives, as some other users have had success with the support teams such as determining which drive(s) need cloning and then a particular process to restore access to the data again