Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Red Alert Drobo Pro Critically low
02-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Red Alert Drobo Pro Critically low
Hello, I am using a Drobo Pro with 8 x 2 TB drives and its showing 95 % capacity and a Red Alert warning. I am not much of a IT person and wanted to know what the best options are. Can I miss match hard drives eg have 2 x 4TB and 6 x 2 TB?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2017, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 02:29 PM by Paul.)
RE: Red Alert Drobo Pro Critically low
hi justin,
mixing drives is one of the features of a drobo (like being able to use different makes of drives and different sizes in the same diskpack).

a few things to bear in mind though are these:
- usually a drobo uses SDR (single drive redundancy) which helps to protect against 1 single drive failure, by essentially using up (or reserving) an amount of space equal to the size of your largest drive, for redundancy.

- if you had enable (dual) DDR mode, then the drobo would essentially be helping you to protect against any 2 drives failing, but also using up/reserving an amount of space equal to the size of you 2 largest drives.

In your current situation, if you have not actively enabled DDR (and have sdr currently) then upgrading 2 drives from 2TB into 4TB should be able to give you a bit more usable space overall, once the upgrades are complete - but you should only upgrade 1 drive at a time, and while the drobo is powered on.

(its best to stop any other programs or mac spotlight or windows searching indexing etc, so that things are not using the
drobo while you upgrade, to help speed it up a bit, but if you really needed to access something you should be able to for the most part)

i dont have a drobo pro but when i upgrade other models, I usually upgrade my running drobo from a stable state, by removing 1 drive and letting dashboard (and the drobo) recognise the change, and then i put the blank/new/uneeded drive replacement in, and letting drobo and dashboard recognise the change. When you upgrade, it will likely do a rebuild process that usually takes about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have. (possibly a bit more if the drobo was being accessed)

before you start, i would suggest copying a bit of data somewhere else first if you can, and then deleting a bit from the drobo, just to help get the "used %" down to 94% first, and the Free overall % in dashboard up to 6%. (edit: this will probably turn that solid red light into a yellow light, and its ok if you free up a bit more)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-15-2017, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2017 02:36 AM by justinhession.)
Hello Paul,
Firstly thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.
I don't have DDR enabled so am thinking of buying 2 x 6T drives. Would a 2 x WD Red (6000GB, 3.5", NAS) work with the Drobo. I have no idea what model it is, just says Drobo Pro but its running 1.2.2 firmware - I will follow your instructions on installation. I currently have about 14T of used space so will it really take me about 14 days to install?
I will do some backup of essential files just in case
Thanks again

Justin
03-15-2017, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2017 09:36 PM by Paul.)
thanks justin, and for more info,

officially, 4TB seems to be the max 'qualified' drive, for example as mentioned here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01124?

across a range of models (and to some extent also mentioned on the above page), some users have been able to happily use larger drives (as long as things were within the max capacity overall for the model), though for the drobopro, ive seen a user who has put in an 8TB (non-smr) which seemed to work ok, though am not sure how it finally played out:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

if you can get a good deal on a bunch of 4TB drives, especially with the fact that you are only using 2TB drives currently, and to go through the upgrade process 1 at a time etc, to essentially double your (raw) capacity, i think you will get a hefty space increase, (and some more peace of mind) Smile

the red nas drives have been mentioned by lots of users in drobos, and for the upgrade process, it will take time to upgrade (for the data to rebuild after each drive), which on slower models (like my gen1 or gen2) can take about 1 day per 1TB of data, and maybe a bit quicker for you, but you should still have access to your data in case you need to access something during it.

(it is only in some rarer cases where an intensive part of the rebuild process could cause the computer or dashboard to temporarily lose access to the drobo)

i dont think you will actually gain any space increase until the 2nd drive is updated (bearing in mind how sdr works), but once your 2nd drive is updated, such as to a 4TB, i think you will gain 2TB Smile

the process itself is quite straight forward, and ive done it several times now, though if you want to see the things that went through my mind or experiences with my first mini upgrade project, here is the thread from years ago Smile
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.ph
(btw sorry that thread is a bit long, but if you like star trek too, then it could be considered as 'required reading' at the academy) Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-22-2017, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 01:52 AM by justinhession.)
Hello Paul,
Thanks again for all your information. I must admit I am nervous about updating it. I decided to go with 2 x 4TB RED drives and have been cleaning up my files to free up some space. My Drobo has been set up that I have a Archive folder with all my backed up folders from my 'D' Drive (were all my work is saved) and then another called File History. I just checked the properties and its using 8TB of space. It seems to be re-backing up all the files and folders from my C and D drive.
I guess because I have never been into this File History folder that it has never deleted anything hence why its using so much space.
I am just not confident enough with computers to start deleting files and folders. My question is can I delete everything from the D drive in Files History on the Drobo and when backing up tonight, it will put the folders back mirroring my PC in today's mode?
03-22-2017, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 05:29 PM by Paul.)
ah hi justin,
im afraid am not really familiar with the way your specific backups (and filehistory or archive folders are working), or which specific program invokes the backups from locally (and if the drobo is the only destination etc)...

... is it just that you only have files on the local computer (which are then backed up somehow onto the drobo, and if the drobo was offline, could you still have a way to access all of your data? - if so, then it might be ok to proceed as below but i wasnt sure)

if you have any more info about what causes the backups to take place, and if there is a set schedule like every evening, this is good to know for more planning, because while some backups might be able to take place during rebuilds, it would be something i would have tried to avoid, in case of risk of overfilling etc.

in my case, i mainly use a windows tool which is part of the syncback range (some are free and some are paid etc), but nothing is automated (only semi-automatic), so i can start or stop a process as required.

for you, just as a thought:
- if that backup tool can be stopped (or indefinitely paused), then maybe you can stop the process, and just make a small copy of a smaller bunch of files (from your drobo, and to paste a spare extra copy onto your computer)

- and then once the copy is successfully complete and the copies work ok, then you could simply delete that smaller amount from the drobo. (the drobo should start updating its dashboard values shortly after, for free space and used space and overall percentages)

- this way you would not have to spend a long time deleting everything in that folder (which could take a fair amount of time), and would only need to free up a few percent of space, just to get a bit clear of the 95% mark, at least 6% should be free but some more free will help. (this should also change one of the solid red alert lights to become yellow, and for a bit of humour we could call it 'getting out of the red light district') Big Grin

(in case here, there actually is more data that you know only exists on the drobo, then an extra step to play safe, would involve backing up all data from the drobo onto another location before hand, but if that is not required, then please see below)

- after this point above (and a quick check to make sure nothing else is going to use the drobo ideally), and with the drobo stable and ideally all solid green lights and likely a solid yellow), you could then try upgrading one of your drives. (essentially power would still be on, and then when the smaller drive is removed, the drobo or dashboard should recognise this, and then when you put the blank/un-needed/replacement drive inside, both should recognise this shortly after, and a rebuild will likely take place for about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have on it)