Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Life Expectancy?
02-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Drobo Life Expectancy?
I'm a PhD student, so not a lot of money, but I'm interested in a 5C. What kind of life expectancy does a Drobo have? 5 years? 10? The 1-yr warranty kind of gives me pause, so I'm wondering.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2017, 02:17 AM
RE: Drobo Life Expectancy?
I would guess about 2+ years. If the device is 5+ years old you would probably not buy Drobo care to solve any issues. 10 years... Lets hope USB-Type-C is still around then. Smile

Drobo B810n & 5N: Samsung 840 SSD | Plextor 64GB SSD | WD Red 6TB | WD Red 4TB | Hitachi Deskstar 4TB
DroboPorts: OpenSSH, BTSync
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2017, 04:32 AM
I have two Drobo appliances, the oldest is 9 years old and still works fine. Like anything electronic, it could last a few weeks or a few decades....it just depends.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
03-01-2017, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 03:23 PM by Paul.)
9 years is cool dragon
i think my oldest one is about 6-7 years Smile

(and thats true jemi, i remember when 3.5in floppy drives were phased out, in favour of internal LS120 drives, which then became iomega zip drives)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-02-2017, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 03:59 AM by jemi2.)
(03-01-2017 03:22 PM)Paul Wrote:  (and thats true jemi, i remember when 3.5in floppy drives were phased out, in favour of internal LS120 drives, which then became iomega zip drives)

I skipped those because of the 'Click of death' syndrome and went for the QIC-80 drives for 'mass stortage'. A dealer told me he exchanged 10% of parallel-port devices and around 80% of the scsi Zip-drives...the main reason for the high number: the scsi ones were actually being used a lot more than the slow parallel ones.

I have seen the downfall of 5 1/4 Floppy disks, Centronics ports, narrow/wide sub-D serial, PS2, external SCSI flavours for consumer devices, Firewire & FW800, DVI-*, RGB-coax monitor connectors, BNC network connectors, all those fancy mainboard connector standards, so many I forgot about, and probably the apple lightning connector (still find them mechanically superior to this usb-type-c crap)....The USB 2.0 connectors are a remarkable exception to all the other short-lived other standards.

SO even if your Drobo 5C is still alive in 10 years, it may be too slow, your new hardware might not support the connector....spinning drives are no longer available, or sata is long forgotten....or the 2,5"/3,5" form factor got abandoned. Smile

Drobo B810n & 5N: Samsung 840 SSD | Plextor 64GB SSD | WD Red 6TB | WD Red 4TB | Hitachi Deskstar 4TB
DroboPorts: OpenSSH, BTSync
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2017, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 09:28 PM by Paul.)
ah thats quite a list Smile

i actually got the COD once on a zip drive, on 1 out of about a total of:
2 ppts drive, 2 eide drives (the best for me so far), and a usb zip drive.
a ppt had the cod, and an eide was in the computer that got fried (it may work but needs testing).

one thing that is interesting though, is that it (seems) to be the case that finding computers that are more basic, like without integrated webcams etc, or without wireless integration, or with more basic video connections are becoming more rare. when a monitor broke, some new lcds didnt even recognise an svga signal even though the screen came with an svga monitor connector port too Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)