Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5n Array Size Reporting
02-27-2017, 10:31 AM
5n Array Size Reporting
I got tired of my 5n reporting 16TB to the operating system (Serv 2008 R2) so I replaced the HDDs with 4TB drives. Now it reports 63.9 TB! That would be great if I actually had that space. How can I get this crazy array to report the correct size? Does anyone know or is the 5n destined for the trash in favor of the Buffalo Terastation!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2017, 05:54 PM
RE: 5n Array Size Reporting
hi rommelhd, i think it is the way thin provisioning works.
in the sense that when i set up my drobo with a couple of 1TB drives, i had about just under 1TB of usable space (probaby about around 900+ GB) but because the max volume size i selected was 2TB, the operating system saw it as 2TB

that is also why dashboard is best to have running (as aside from looking at the high level status lights on the physical unit, dashboard shows finer details to help to that we are less likely to overfill the drobo)

(for me, i chose 2TB as the max volume size, instead of 16TB which was the largest option back then, because i preferred the smaller volume sizes, and actually needed to maintain 2TB max to be able to hook up the drobo to family xp laptops etc which only supported upto 2TB for backups etc)

can you remember if you had selected 16TB max default volumes when you first set it up?
that could be why the 5n showed up as a huge 16TB volume.

newer firmware versions allowed i think 64TB volumes to be created (but required the drobo to be backed up and reformatted/re-set up again)... can i check if you did any resets or if you did any new upgrades of firmware?
(im not aware of it suddenly changing to show 64TB but if you have any more info you could post back with when you get a moment, lincluding how many drives and sizes you had before, maybe we can try and spot something?)

btw am not sure if you had (or currently still have any data on your drobo that you need), but in your case, maybe using disk quota could work (though i have not tried this myself) so that a particular volume can only use a certain amount of space? (in case you have some data currently that is not backed up though, please try to copy it to computer first as i do not have a server)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply