Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 2nd Gen Standby Timer
02-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Drobo 2nd Gen Standby Timer
Hi,
I have my Drobo 2nd Gen (connected via firewire) running on a Mac Mini on OSX 10.11
My Drobo is in the bedroom which gets a bit noisy and was wanting to find a way to set a timer for the drobo to go into standby and to wake in the morning.
Is there any way to do this from the Drobo Dashboard? Or is there a way I can send this command using an apple script? I was able to eject the drive via a script but this seems less than ideal.
Thanks for any help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2017, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2017 05:29 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo 2nd Gen Standby Timer
hi ozzyc, do you know if the mac or programs are using and accessing the drobo overnight?
(for example do you maybe set up some tasks like a backup set that lasts for a couple of hours each night and then go to sleep?)

as far as i remember with my gen 2 (and more often with my gen1) the drives all spin down after a certain amount of inactivity (i think 30mins at least), and then usually before i was going to start using the drobo again i could press f5 to refresh the desktop (or a folder like My Computer) and the drives would wake up and spin up again, drive by drive while i got a drink or a snack Smile

(for the script part, sorry im not sure of one) and maybe some others will know, but it might be worth checking in the meantime in case there is anything (like an antivirus, or program, or even spotlight indexing etc) accesing data on the drobo, because unless the ambient temperature is quite high, i think it actually can go very quiet?

btw is it actual drive chattering sounds that you can hear or is it the fan spinning up?
also, what happens if you try using usb instead.. does that make any difference at all, in case firewire is somehow including a keep alive/week awake signal?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-27-2017, 06:46 PM
I think what I am hearing is the Drobo taking care of maintenance, I tend to get both fan and HDD noise. The Drobo acts mainly as data storage for iTunes to stream media to Apple TVs. I am not sure how much iTunes would access the drive while not streaming. Sometimes it decides to spin down, sometimes it does not
03-01-2017, 03:28 PM
maybe some testing can help to pinpoint things?

for example are you able to try shutting down all running programs on the mac, including itunes and spotlight etc, and then seeing what happens on a day (or evening) when this is done, and also on a day (or evening) when the drobo data hasnt been changed, like when you havent copied or deleted/modified lots of data on it) just to see?

also, what is the ambient temperature where the drobo is and does it have enough space around it for ventilations?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)