Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Annoying drobo app update team behaviour
02-17-2017, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 10:23 AM by victornicola.)
Annoying drobo app update team behaviour
I have 2 wonderful functioning drobos
Drobo 2nd Gen and Drobo S
when updating to version 3 of the dashboard it seems that the dashboard team deemed that my 2 functioning drobos need not be supported anymore and that they are redundant and garbage! This is unacceptable behaviour and mind you not the first time. reinstate support in the dashboard for older drobos they are still functioning and are perfect. stop the behaviour to push us to abandon them and purchase new! this is called waste and gluttony. please fix it.

With anger,
Very annoyed customer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2017, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 08:18 PM by Paul.)
RE: Annoying drobo app update team behaviour
hi victor,
i was wondering if you would be able to try shutting down your computer and to try restarting the computer and dashboard and drobos again, say after 10minutes, just to see if it makes any difference.

also, can you try having a look here just in case some firewall or permissions are somehow blocking things?
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01820

just to clarify, i have always mentioned, and still happily politely mention again, that each version of dashboard should always support all previous versions of drobo hardware.
(the only time when it may not be possible, is if an operating system, like apple or something, physically blocks a device or doesnt support certain devices again, in which case there probably isnt much that any software company can do)

for firmware, i can understand that there is probably a limit, (at least on a chip / ram firmware) but for an installed piece of software, i still believe that compatibility is king, and that the older models should always still be supported (and it would still be perfectly accecptable, i feel, even if dashboard had to grow a bit in size, like a few more MB or something, to cater for any code related to "IF drobo Gen-x use this driver etc"

i still use my gen2 and drobo-s-gen2 (and actualy the gen2 helped me a lot recently since my gen1 (and its attached computer) both got fried by a power surge or something similar, and i was able to use dashboard v2.5.3 to manage and then safely shutdown the drobo.

having said that, if it is only dashboard that is not supporting an older model, then it wouldnt be as bad as not being able to access any data from a computer, (and at least an older version could still be used), though yes, ideally all dashboards should simply include whatever code they had before, plus any thing extra for new features and versions.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-19-2017, 01:37 PM
(02-17-2017 08:16 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi victor,
i was wondering if you would be able to try shutting down your computer and to try restarting the computer and dashboard and drobos again, say after 10minutes, just to see if it makes any difference.

also, can you try having a look here just in case some firewall or permissions are somehow blocking things?
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01820

just to clarify, i have always mentioned, and still happily politely mention again, that each version of dashboard should always support all previous versions of drobo hardware.
(the only time when it may not be possible, is if an operating system, like apple or something, physically blocks a device or doesnt support certain devices again, in which case there probably isnt much that any software company can do)

for firmware, i can understand that there is probably a limit, (at least on a chip / ram firmware) but for an installed piece of software, i still believe that compatibility is king, and that the older models should always still be supported (and it would still be perfectly accecptable, i feel, even if dashboard had to grow a bit in size, like a few more MB or something, to cater for any code related to "IF drobo Gen-x use this driver etc"

i still use my gen2 and drobo-s-gen2 (and actualy the gen2 helped me a lot recently since my gen1 (and its attached computer) both got fried by a power surge or something similar, and i was able to use dashboard v2.5.3 to manage and then safely shutdown the drobo.

having said that, if it is only dashboard that is not supporting an older model, then it wouldnt be as bad as not being able to access any data from a computer, (and at least an older version could still be used), though yes, ideally all dashboards should simply include whatever code they had before, plus any thing extra for new features and versions.

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for your kind reply, I agree with everything you said.
After a few hours of trial and error and a travel down memory lane for what i had done previously I found a solution, It is not an ultimate solution but seems to work at least for me.

I still do think that the team that is developing the app should pay better attention when releasing a software and making sure it works properly.

Here is what I have done:

1. eject my drobos from the computers (the dashboard does not recognise them so I could not shut them down)
2. Unplug the drobos.
3. uninstall dashboard.
4. restart.
5. reinstall the dashboard (do not plugin the drives yet) and restart.
6. after the mac started open dashboard.
7. plug in the drobos.
Voila... they appear in the dashboard.

Now that being said this is something that happens every single update! how about the developers take care of it once and for all?

This is happening to me eventime I update and to a friend of mine who own a 3gen drobo.

I apologise for my rant and claim that drobo deemed older units as disposables, (I take it back and duly apologise) This idea came from my chat with a support engineer who said to me that my units are too old and won't be supported anymore! I spoke to someone in Germany back then, I even sent an angry letter complaining about it (never got reply).

Now my apology is out there I do think that the developers should fix the issue of the upgrade and make sure we don't spend ours an ours trying to find out what the issue is on their behalf. we are the clients and not a testing team.

Cheers,
Vic
02-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Version 3.0 shows my Gen2 just fine. Reboot the Drobo perhaps?

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
02-20-2017, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 05:09 PM by Paul.)
thanks for your followup vic,
just to add a link to what dragon mentioned, some other users also experienced something similar and were able to get things working again via what they mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

perhaps another good takeaway could be for the dev teams to add a small note in a future dashboard release if there is a likely chance that the drobo will need to be restarted also, such as by adding a small note that pops up in a window, at least just to inform the user that a restart may be required too, if it does not become found automatically after install.

i posted a quick thread in the feature requests section too, just in case it helps:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)