Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5D won't power up
02-07-2017, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 09:38 AM by archer75.)
Drobo 5D won't power up
I leave my computer and the drobo 5D on 24/7. Last night the drobo was fine but today it's powered off and won't turn on.
The green light on the powersupply is not solid. It's blinking about every 2-3 seconds. I don't recall if that's normal or if it should be solid?

If I unplug the power cord from the back of the drobo the light on the powersupply goes to solid green. Plug it back in the drobo and it starts blinking again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2017, 12:10 PM
RE: Drobo 5D won't power up
Most likely the power supply is failing. So it cant give enough power when plugged into the drobo but when unplugged the light goes green because it can handle not having to actually put out a load.
02-07-2017, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 12:25 PM by archer75.)
I am out of warranty however I still did contact drobo support who told me the drobo is dead. I did some searching on the forums and for this identical issue other people have said it's not the power supply.
Support offered to sell me a 5Dt with 3 year drobocare at a discounted price. Don't really need a 5Dt as I already added a SSD to my 5D but I guess it's better than nothing.
02-07-2017, 05:21 PM
(02-07-2017 09:08 AM)archer75 Wrote:  I leave my computer and the drobo 5D on 24/7. Last night the drobo was fine but today it's powered off and won't turn on.
The green light on the powersupply is not solid. It's blinking about every 2-3 seconds. I don't recall if that's normal or if it should be solid?

If I unplug the power cord from the back of the drobo the light on the powersupply goes to solid green. Plug it back in the drobo and it starts blinking again.

The green light on the power supply should not be blinking. I saw the same thing when my two year old 5D died and would not power on. BTW, how old was your 5D when it died?
02-07-2017, 05:46 PM
(02-07-2017 05:21 PM)wfiveash Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 09:08 AM)archer75 Wrote:  I leave my computer and the drobo 5D on 24/7. Last night the drobo was fine but today it's powered off and won't turn on.

The green light on the power supply should not be blinking. I saw the same thing when my two year old 5D died and would not power on. BTW, how old was your 5D when it died?

2 months shy of 3 years.
02-08-2017, 01:03 PM
(02-07-2017 05:46 PM)archer75 Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 05:21 PM)wfiveash Wrote:  The green light on the power supply should not be blinking. I saw the same thing when my two year old 5D died and would not power on. BTW, how old was your 5D when it died?

2 months shy of 3 years.

This is what has me worried about the 5D. A storage device costing this much that dies in 2-3 years is not worth investing in -- certainly I'm now looking for an alternative.
02-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Yes, it is concerning. But including the 3 year extended warranty with the 5Dt shows they have more confidence in it. They offered it to me 50% off.

Prior to the drobo I ran WHS as I didn't have to use matched drives. A couple years into that and I was having issues with a controller card and later the motherboard.
02-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Have you tried a different Power Supply?

My Drobo Mini went down with this behaviour and I bought one of those generic laptop power supplies which have the multi voltage settings and different connections in the pack.

I set it up to match the Drobo Mini Power Supply and it's been working fine ever since (I will say that the first time I plugged it in and turned it on I removed the Disk Pack in case it let out a whole pile of the Blue-Go Smoke).

I paid $70 (in Australia) for it so it would be a relatively inexpensive second to last resort before buying a new unit (although with an offer like that I would have probably already taken Drobo up on it).
02-13-2017, 02:54 PM
hi there is a page here in the knowledgebase with psu info in case it helps:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01615

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
This morning I experienced the exact same problem: 5D off, green light on brick pulsing, sometimes bright and sometimes dim. I have CRITICAL files on my Drobo and need them ASAP!