Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5D - All Yellow Lights - Fails to Boot
02-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Drobo 5D - All Yellow Lights - Fails to Boot
One of my two Drobo 5Ds showed all yellow lights so I installed a new 6 Tb drive in bay 1. It then proceeded to act like it was booting up, but would go through the start-up routine, flash all yellow lights on the drives and then shut down. I let it run for two weeks to see if it was rebuilding data, but nothing changed. I had to disconnect the power to get it to shut down.

What do I do now?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Drobo 5D - All Yellow Lights - Fails to Boot
hi amcinnes, can i check is this the same (or possibly another) 6TB western digital from your other post here?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Hi Paul,

No, sadly, this is another 5D that I have. I have two 5D units and the one that is acting up is my primary unit. The other one that I updated with the 6Tb (and currently no problems) is my "back-up" unit. I store the entire library of our school's video assets on these units so I'm glad that I had one as a back-up. Having said that, I'm freaked that the main unit is acting up.

Can you recommend a recovery procedure or process?

Thanks!
02-10-2017, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2017 05:41 PM by Paul.)
ah ok thanks for the info,

at the moment it sounds like it could be the primary diskpack (or hardware) that is having a problem...
i think it is likely to be more towards the Diskpack, though a good way to test it, would be in a couple of ways...

1) would be to essentially swap the diskpacks around via the proper process....
(essentially if your firmware is the same, then this would be shutting down all drobos via dashboard ideally, and shutting down all computers, and powering all off, and unpugging all cables from the drobos, and then removing your diskpack from each drobo, and putting them inside of the other drobo in the same order, and then trying to connect and power up one drobo at a time, to see how things work)...

a risk could be that in the rare case that the primary hardware is faulty, something could happen to your working secondary diskpack, though some mitigations of this would be to have a backup before trying anything, and also to just put the primary (and currently seemingly not working diskpack) into the working Secondary hardware, and just keeing the working secondary diskpack set aside for the test.

Please note: you may already be aware, though just to mention here that Diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety, and only with power all Off and all cables unplugged.

2) the other way, and probably better way would be to just try shutting down all drobos via dashboard ideally, and shutting down all computers, and powering all off, and unpugging all cables from the drobos, and then removing your diskpack from the Primary drobo, and then trying to connect the primary to the computer, and to boot up the computer and dashboard, and then to power up the empty drobo, and to see if dashboard can find and recognise it. (if it does find it, then it looks like the hardware is ok, though in case it asks you to put drives inside then please STOP here)

you could then use the note below, to power off and to put the diskpack in again to try it again to see what happens how:
Please note: you may already be aware, though just to mention here that Diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety, and only with power all Off and all cables unplugged.

please let us know how things go, and there are probably a couple more things we can try depending on any status changes.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)