Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gen 2 Drobo, connects fin with no drives, won't connect when drives are in
02-02-2017, 03:12 AM
Gen 2 Drobo, connects fin with no drives, won't connect when drives are in
hi

I'm on a mac on a Drobo gen 2 using a firewire 800 connection

i haven;t plugged it in for 5 months or so., when i do i get all red lights on drives and a green power light. the drobo was not detected by the mac

i powered down, popped out the drives and reconnected.

after a few minutes the drobo appears in dashboard asks me to insert drives.

i power down again, inserted the drivers with the data on from before and it can't now see it

firmware is latest.

any thoughts what to do nest? I'm assuming inserting one drive at a time is not a good idea.

many thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2017, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 04:58 PM by Paul.)
RE: Gen 2 Drobo, connects fin with no drives, won't connect when drives are in
hi benedictm,
you are correct... it is BAD to insert 1 at a time if you have a diskpack already.

would you be able to try powering all off, and unplugging all cables from your drobo
and to remove all yoru diskpack drives (remembering the order for later)
and then try powering up empty
(does the drobo seem to power up and then go into standby mode?)

can you then try to power up your mac and dashboard
and to connecting it to the mac (this time via usb if you can)
does dashboard still see it soon after it wakes up?

if it asks you to put drive(s) in, please Stop here...

then if you shutdown the drobo via dashboard
(and computer too)
and then with power still off and cables unplugged, to then put yoru diskpack drives back in where they were before.
and then to power up the drobo (unconnected)

does it boot up with the usual blue led sequence (usually from 1 through to 10 from right to left)?
does it then go into standby mode after about 10 minutes after bootup?
(or does it remain on with the same red lights as before)?
(in case it seems to hang between reaching 10 blue leds, please do allow plenty of time here)

if it seems to go into standby mode (or if it finished booting up but stuck for more than 30mins with all red lights)
then if you can please try powering up your mac and dashboard
and then once those are up to then try connecting the drobo via usb again
(what happens now... does the drobo wake up shortly after, and is it working again, or is it the same all red lights issue?)

if it is still with the same issue, then you might be able to try putting your drobo into read only mode again, via here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
(just to see if it gets any further)

if that still does not work, then it could be that one or more drives have unfortunately encountered some errors and some more (hefty) work might be required, and it would probably be best to raise a ticket for the support team as they may be able to help ascertain what drive(s) are having the problems and to advise on further steps as i cant think of any more things at the moment... (you will probably be out of warranty for your gen2, though i believe pay-per-incident tickets could still be raised if you so wished)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply