Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
actual volume size and disk activity
01-31-2017, 12:15 PM
actual volume size and disk activity
I have 5 2TB disks installed, drobo is reporting 64TB as the volume size. How do i get it to show and report to OS actual size and free space?

Is there a way to get the lights to show disk activity?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2017, 05:26 PM
RE: actual volume size and disk activity
What your seeing is called "thin-provisioning". it allows the OS to see (and potentially use) the entire 64TB volume size as drives are added. You will need to use the Drobo Dashboard to see the actual capacity usage.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
02-03-2017, 02:34 PM
There's a green light in the bottom-right that shows disk activity. Activity for individual drives is meaningless because your data's spread across all drives for redundancy so all drives are basically active at the same time.

The reason the Drobo reports 64 TB to the OS is so you can add additional drives (or replace a smaller one) at any time to increase capacity. If the Drobo didn't do that then you'd have to:
  1. make a backup of your Drobo
  2. add/replace the additional drive
  3. reformat your Drobo
  4. Restore the backup to the Drobo

That's a major hassle - I know because I did that last summer when I reformatted by Drobo to use the new 64 TB size (it used to be 16).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2017, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 03:40 PM by Paul.)
hi afts,
just to also add that drobos can work pretty well, and once a larger virtual (thinly-provisioned) volume is setup, it helps to assimilate larger drives into the diskpack.

am not sure if you are using the default SDR mode of single drive redundancy, (or if you are using it in dual DDR mode for extra protection) though it will be good to keep dashboard running in the background if you can (or to at least check it from time to time) just to help ensure that you do not overfill your drobo by mistake, because even if it shows you 64TB of space on the computer, it actually will probably be about just under 5.5TB or just over 7TB depending on the redundancy mode.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the information.
The green light in lower right very hard to see, especially in present setup. Maybe i'll put a mirror under it.

SDR is on, will try to keep drobo dashboad up, but given how slow the drobo is now ....
Should my CPU (AMD Sempron 2.3Ghz) really be pinned as it does copying files ? Is there a way to turn off the drobo dashboard logging is that needed for data recovery?
02-08-2017, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 04:37 PM by Paul.)
if you put a mirror under it, will that mean the drobo is mirroring? Smile

sdr will be the default (until you enable ddr if you wanted to and if you had enough drives/space to enable it)
when you say pinned, is there a particular cpu% of utilisation that you are seeing?

you can turn off dashboard and use the drobo for your current tasks if you like, and a drobo should still be able to run a rebuild mode as far as i know without it, though you could also try to set it in task manager (or similar) to use lower priority to see if that helps reduce its load?

then you can periodically launch dashboard app and service to keep an eye on things.
if you ever encounter any problems though like lights not looking like they should, then definately try to run dashboard as it can also show you info and advice, like how long a rebuild may still need for example.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
02-12-2017, 11:27 AM
(02-08-2017 04:37 PM)Paul Wrote:  [...]
when you say pinned, is there a particular cpu% of utilisation that you are seeing?
100%
02-13-2017, 02:58 PM
ok thanks for the confirmation,
it might be worth exiting dashboard and restarting it, and also the service if you know how... (on windows its by the services.msc tool but am not sure on a mac.)

maybe a shutdown and restart of the computer as well, when not doing anything, could help with the utilisation too?

02-20-2017, 02:05 PM
the pc is in constant use, still doing a Windows Backup of just a System Image that started 20 hours ago and i need to install some security updates. So might not get to the restart till Monday night Sad
02-20-2017, 05:13 PM
ah ok, maybe setting dashboard in task manager to 'below normal' might make a bit of difference for you, or maybe if there are some programs or processes you are needing to use or to finish quicker, migh benefit from being given 'above normal' cpu or speed things up a bit in the meantime?

(btw i think some delays in patch tuesday might mean more updates got stacked up too)