Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unable to power up after firmware upgrade
01-31-2017, 06:13 AM
Unable to power up after firmware upgrade
I got message in Drobo Dashboard asking if I want to update firmware on my Drobo, it said I will need to stop all my transfers. I closed all apps and waited a couple of minutes before agreeing to the upgrade. Upgrade downloaded and applied succesfully according to Drobo Dashboard. It asked to reboot the Drobo but it failed and asked to reboot the host instead, to which I agreed. My Mac was rebooted but the Drobo failed to start.

My Drobo Dashboard is 2.8.5 but I cannot select it as the latest is 2.8.3?
My Mac OS is 10.12.3

Now the Drobo does not power up properly, I think. I powered it down to try another cable but when I plug Thunderbolt cable and then power cable there is a short burst of life from fan but it stops in a second. What should I do, please help?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 01:35 AM
RE: Unable to power up after firmware upgrade
The Drobo is recognised by macOS system info, and during host boot the main Drobo fan engages for a second, but none of the LEDs on the front light up anymore.

I ordered another Drobo 5D to get access to my data, but I'm not exactly happy that the failure 'accidentally' happened immediately after firmware upgrade from Drobo Dashboard.
02-01-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: Unable to power up after firmware upgrade
hi propercode, sorry to hear of the current issue.
am not sure if you aready got things working again with your new drobo, though it might be worth trying to power all off, and then to unplug the connection cable from your original 5d, and to try and boot it up that way...

does it seem to boot up in this way, as usual, with blue led lights lighting up from 1 through to 10 (usually in reverse?) and then does it go into standby mode, or does it do something else?
(in case it seems to hang between 1-10 blue led lights, please do allow plenty of time here)

- then, after it looks like it has finished booting up, (or has then gone into standby mode)
- what happens if you power up the computer
- and once that is also up and running, and with dashboard too,
- to then plug in your 5d in the usual way (in this case just by connecting the connection cable directly from drobo and computer)

does the drobo wake up shortly after, and become connected and acccessible again by dashboard and computer?
(were you using a direct usb cable connection, with out any hubs or adapters etc?)

for the new drobo:
you might already be aware though just a quick note to mention that if you do a diskpack migration, there is some info here about the procedure to bear in mind:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

(a key point will be that diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety, and only with power all Off and cables unplugged).

btw when my drobo-s-gen2 had a faulty power toggle switch i was able to successfully migrate my diskpack and access all data again.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)