Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo FS not discovered but pingable
01-29-2017, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 08:42 PM by sharon1.)
Drobo FS not discovered but pingable
I can see my drobo in my router. I can ping it in command prompt. I cannot get it to be discovered. I see people say to open it and connect Serial to USB but I find so many online and I do not know where to connect it. Can someone post an amazon link to get the correct cable and please post a pic of where to connect it. What do I do after I connect it. I have putty already installed. If there is an easier way of getting it to recognize I will do that. All help is greatly appreciated.

http://blog.danielparnell.com/?p=285
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2017, 09:59 PM
RE: Drobo FS not discovered but pingable
I am having the same exact problem. it's pingable, but dashboard won't find it, nor can windows. tried everything in the knowledge base to solve it with no joy at all. anyone have any clues?
01-30-2017, 07:16 PM
hi sharon and jaypea,
i was wondering if you have been able to try connecting your drobo fs directly to the computer, (without any routers) just to see if it can be found again that way?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-30-2017, 08:43 PM
I have tried that and had no luck.
01-30-2017, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 09:15 PM by Paul.)
ah thanks for info about that, i also saw your other post here http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php? about your fs. hopefully some of the info can help you as that thread gets updated, though in the meantime i was wondering if you have ever tried booting up your drobo empty?

please remember, diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety and only when power is all Off and cables unplugged.

if your drobo boots up and is recognised by dashboard, when empty (that looks more promising in terms of the hardware) but if it still does not even become recognised by dashboard in this way, (and it might be worth trying a few versions of dashboard just in case the installation had a problem) then it could well be the drobo hardware.

usually, i think it much better if the hardware has a problem, than the diskpack, (ideally none will have a problem) but if the diskpack is ok, then a migration path is very likely, for example via a migration procedure as mentioned here:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

(when my drobo-s-gen2 had a power switch issue, i was able to successfully migrate my diskpack and access all data again in a replacement model of same type so thats why i think its best if the hardware fails and not the diskpack as that can be a much larger process to find a solution if one is possible)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-31-2017, 11:07 AM
I have tried booting with no disks and I also inserted a blank disk to try and trigger it to format it. I do have a 5N in route but was hoping to have this one up and running. I Ifound this article http://blog.danielparnell.com/?p=285 and am hopeful that I can get it to boot. I would like some pictures of what I will see and do using putty but I will make my own while I work on bringing life back to my Drobo.
02-01-2017, 06:43 PM
ah thanks for that info sharon,
if it still is not discovered when directly connected and empty, something seems to have wrong wrong Sad
you have probably checked in case some firewall settings are blocking things (like for the dashboard service), but in case not, it might be worth re-checking?

if it still wont connect, have you tried a pinhole reset process, (while empty, and / or while having a couple of blank/different/un-needed drives inside?)
i wish you well with trying to fix it with the other sites and info, though it might be worth trying a few older dashboard versions too, and another cable, just in case that can get a bit further?

02-01-2017, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 08:29 PM by jaypea500.)
hey paul:

what's the "pinhole reset process"??
02-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Tried all that including pinhole reset. My final attempt will be the blog I posted above. I figure since it is already a brick I might try last resort measures. I will inform you next week after the cable arrives.
02-03-2017, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 03:28 PM by Paul.)
ok thanks sharon,

hi jaypea here is the info on the pinhole reset process for you:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01424
(please see the warnings on that page too since doing this can wipe your data)