Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Swapping/Adding Drives
01-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Swapping/Adding Drives
Got a 5D with 4 drives installed - so one spare slot

One drive is flashing red, the other three are flashing green/yellow so are rebuilding.

Can I just swap out the red drive and replace it at this point.
Can I add a drive to the last slot at this point.

Or do I have to wait for the rebuild to finish?

TIA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2017, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 08:16 PM by Paul.)
RE: Swapping/Adding Drives
hi ianm2k4,
as far as i understand it, the drobo has rejected that failed and flashing drive and will not be using it.

(if a rebuild had not taken place, then i think you could have simply removed it, and put in a replacement. alternatively you may have been able to put a good drive into the spare slot, and for a rebuild to take place, and then with the rebuild complete and when all the other drives became solid colours again, ideally all green, to remove the failed drive, waiting for drobo to recognise this shortly after, and then to put in a replaccement.)

in your case, as a rebuild is currently running, i think it is best to wait and to let it complete, before changing anything.
(then if it completes successfully, to wait several minutes more, and then you could remove the failed drive, while the drobo is on)

technically, i have seen some users put new drives in during a rebuild, and still end up all ok, though i would wait, especially if you do not have too much data (and not too much more time remaining on your rebuild)

for example, on older models, it usually takes about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have.
btw just linking another post here with a similar question too:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply