Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
USB switch recommendation?
01-24-2017, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 03:11 PM by hastor.)
USB switch recommendation?
I'm looking for a good USB 3.0 switch for my Drobo 5D, for switching it between 2 (or 3) devices more easily, so I don't have to swap cables around as much.

I have a USB 3.0 switch that works, but when I run the Drobo through it, even using 1ft cables, my speed drops to 30MB/s, which is about 10% of what I get copying the same file when it is directly connected to the PC. It registers as a USB 3.0 connection but sure doesn't act like one.

I also have another one, but it is an 'auto-switching' one that switches to whatever device is on, and doesn't like my Blu-ray player, which is one of the devices I'm switching between (along with a PC or two), and is my media player. It always switches away from it no matter what. That's USB 2 so the speed isn't an issue on it for media playback, but it is when I'm using it to move large files to/from the PC on USB 3.0.

So I think I need one that is a physical switch rather than an 'intelligent' one that auto-switches, but one that doesn't kill my speed. Just wondering if anyone here has had any luck with one.

Note that I'm not using a Network model as my Blu-ray player has been tweaked to play a larger variety of media files than normal, and it will only load those file types over USB, and fails to recognize them over the network.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2017, 08:05 PM
RE: USB switch recommendation?
hi hastor, while i havent used an exact usb 3 switch, i have always had good results or heared good things using a mixture of Belkin switches over the years. this was for things like a switch that has an A-B 2 inputs for cables from 2 computers, going through to 1 monitor, or 1 keyboard or 1 mouse etc.

maybe they also do one for usb3 as well?
Startech is also pretty good for converters and adapters too (i got some for ide>sata>ide before)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply