Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
updated 5D firmware to 3.5.2 but no increase in capacity
01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
updated 5D firmware to 3.5.2 but no increase in capacity
I have two Drobo 5D's I purchased about a year and a half ago with five four TB drives for each, which gave me a capacity of 14.48 TB. This fell short of my needs.

I recently purchased three 10 TB drives. My understanding from what I had read and from answers to questions I had posed on this forum was that if I updated my firmware to 3.5.2 and reformatted my Drobo 5D it would give me the 64 TB potential.

So I copied all the material on one of my 5D's to two of the 10 TB drives. This took days. I then did the firmware update. It still showed a capacity pf 14.48. I reset the Drobo and then did a format aimed at the 64 TB potential capacity.

I currently have 4 four TB drives and one 10 TB drive in the Drobo unit, for a total of 22 TB. According to Finder and Disk Utility, there is 70.37 TB available, about 48 TB more information than the five disks combined actually hold.

Yet, Dashboard now shows the full Drobo unit as having a total capacity of 14.37 TB, slightly less than before I did the Firmware update and the reformat!

I am very confused and don't know what to do next. What is happening here? I want to reload the information back into the Drobo, but if it fills up at 14.37, then it will all have been wasted time. Once I copy the original information from the two 10 TB drives back into the Drobo, I want to use them to replace two of two of the four TB drives, which in theory should give me close to 38 TB available, yet it looks like I only be able to access 14.37 TB of those in the Drobo. Help?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2017, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 07:35 PM by wfiveash.)
RE: updated 5D firmware to 3.5.2 but no increase in capacity
Once you update the firmware to the version that supports up to 64TB volumes you have to reformat the drives in the 5D, then create a new, larger volume. So if you have data on the 5D, back it up first (and make sure the back up is good). This is my understanding but you should make sure what I wrote is correct before proceeding.
01-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Yes, you have to rebuild the Drobo's disk pack by reformatting the whole thing and starting fresh, (after you have backed up your data, of course). You can't do an "in place" upgrade of the disk pack's volume size, you have to start from scratch.
01-23-2017, 10:29 PM
wfiiveash and dslam:

I thank you both for your response, but I remain frustrated as what you say I should do is exactly what I thought I did and described doing, but if the two different people who took the time to respond both misunderstood in the same way, then I must have failed to communicate.

I just went through the format process again and took a few screen shots along the way so that I can give you a step by step breakdown:

After I start the format process, the first screenshot says:

"Warning: all data will be erased - Drobo has detected data on your drives. All data and volumes (such as Drobo) will be lost if you continue the format. Are you sure you wish to proceed?"

I select, "Yes."

The next screenshot reads:

"How would you like Drobo to name your volume?

(You have selected a maximum size of 64 TB and you have 14.3 TB available Capacity. Therefore, a single volume will be created.)

By default, it shows the name "Drobo" and I accept that default name and click "next."

It then shows:

"Press format to prepare your new volume for use." It identifies the Drobo as "Drobo" Format Type as "HFS+" and volume size as "64 TB."

So I press "Format" and wind up with "Drobo has successfully formated your volume. You can now begin to use it for storing files."

If I then go back to the dashboard and choose "Volumes," it shows:

Volume Name: Drobo File system: HFS+ Max Capacity:64 TB

But if I check capacity, it shows "1.65 GB used space (0%) 14.37 TB Free Space (100 percent)

Again, as I stated in my original post, that is a small reduction from the 14.48 Capacity of the drive before I did the Firmware update.

Also, as stated in the first post, I now have one 10 TB drive and four 4 TB drives in the Drobo, for a total of 26 TB total drive space (I mistakenly wrote 22 TB in the first post).

Furthermore, as also stated and for whatever reason I have no idea, When I look at "Drobo" in both finder and "Disk Utility" it shows 70.37 TB available.

And yes, as stated in my first post, I spent days backing up the info that was in the Drobo to two different 10 TB drives. My intent was to use these to replace two of the remaining four 4 TB drives once I had copied the backed up files into the drive after reformatting the volume to 64 TB.
01-24-2017, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 02:28 AM by Docchris.)
Hi Frost Frog,

Your setup is working perfectly.

You have two issues: finder reports your formatted volume as 70TB , and despite putting in a 10Tb disk, you dont have any additional free space.

Easy one first - when you buy a 1TB hard disk , that is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes.. which is actually 921GB, not 1000GB

manufacturers always used 1000GB = 1TB, 1000MB = 1GB etc, as it allowed them to make hard disks hit the all important big numbers, without adding quite so much space. Really its the difference between binary and decimal counting...

Because people were frustrated about putting in a 1TB hard disk (as the manufacturer calls it) and their computer telling them they have 921GB free (because thats actually how big the disk is). Newer version fo Mac OS now "count" in "decimal". so if you plug in a disk that you purchased that is 1TB - MAC OS will tell you 1TB (1,000,000,000,000 bytes) but windows will report it as 921GB (because that is actually what it is 921GB IS 1,000,000,000,000)>

now you are actually seeing it the other way around. you have formatted your volume to be 64TB... that is the actual "proper" binary TB. that is 70368744177664 bytes.

because of MACOS's "new" way of counting to agree to drive manufacturers , it sees that as 70.36874... etc... TB.

So yes you have formatted a 64TB volume, yes MACOS tells you its 70TB... they are both exactly the same and both "correct" in their own way, you have a volume that has 70368744177664 bytes, its just whether you count your thousands to be 1000 or 1024.

Your second "problem" is also non existent.

You had five 4 TB disks.

You now have one 10TB disk and four 4TB disks.

The actual usable space on a Drobo is always the sum of all of your disks.. MINUS THE LARGEST DISK (assuming single disk redundancy).

So in both cases you will get the exactly same amount of usable space (four 4TB disks = 16TB)

If you add a second 10TB disk, you will have usable space of 22TB (three 4TB and one 10TB).

(the reason your available space may be very marginally smaller now is because the bigger volume would need a bit more system storage room for its file tables etc)

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
01-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Thank you, Docchris. I am now copying the files that were originally on the Drobo back to it from the other two 10 TB disks. Once done, I will then add one of those two hard drives into the Drobo and after it has factored in, the other. I am certain you are correct and I will get the expected increase in capacity, but will report back to confirm it. As noted in my original post, it took days to copy the info from the Drobo into the other two 10 TB drives, so it will likely take awhile. Curiously, though, the information seems to be copying faster from the 10 TBs to the Drobo than it did from the Drobo to the 10 TB's.
01-25-2017, 04:36 AM
Excellent, let us know how it goes

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
01-28-2017, 10:24 PM
It took a LONG time, but I have since added two 10 TB drives to the Drobo, giving me three 10 TB's total and two four TB's, for a total capacity of 25.28 TB. Just as Docchris said would happen, once I had added a second 10 TB drive it broke the old barrier and factored in the additional space. As soon as is practical for me, I will replace the two 4TB drives with 10 TB as well - then start to do the same on the other Drobo. I still have a lot of info to back up on Drobo and I'm always creating more.

Thank you again, Docchris!