Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2nd gen Drobo in perpetual "Data Protection" mode?
01-19-2017, 12:33 PM
2nd gen Drobo in perpetual "Data Protection" mode?
About a week and a half ago I came to my comp after copying a few gigs of stuff to my drobo and noticed that all 4 drives were blinking orange/green. I looked at the drobodash and it said Drobo was in data protection mode but still useable and "Do not remove any hard drives with blinking lights" (which I guess means don't remove any drives). That was around 8-9 days ago, I had a power outage and so, like it or not, the drobo was "powered down then powered up again" and it went right back to the orange/green blinking. Should it really take this long?

-I am running win10.
-Dashboard 2.8.5 [87185]
-firmware: latest probably (dashboard now doesn't see my drobo but I usually update everything when I am told something new is available).
-I can access my drobo
-I have three 3tb drives and one 2tb drive, around 70% full last time I looked (7 of 10 blue dots showing up, no messages about running out of drive space)
-its connected via usb 2.0

Any help would really be appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2017, 08:52 PM
RE: 2nd gen Drobo in perpetual "Data Protection" mode?
hi gaikokujinkyofusho,
i was just checking your info above, and as far as i can tell, your gen2 drobo will be using Single drive redundancy (SDR) mode by default, and your setup looks to be having the following.

3TB + 3TB + 3TB + 2TB = 11TB Raw
11TB (-3TB for sdr, as 3TB is the equivalent size of your largest drive) = 8TB actual
8TB (*0.9 for filesystem overheads) = ~7.2TB

even though you are only using up about 70% of that, the gen2 usually takes about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have, (and can be a bit slower depending on if something was accessing the drobo for a while)

in some cases the computer or dashboard can lose access to the drobo, though if you are able to please try waiting some more time, it should hopefully finish soon for you.

(usually the drobos can recover from a power cut and continue again, but just in case something happened and it wanted to restart the rebuild and recovery process from the start, it would be good to try to leave it for another week (if you can) just in case - though hopefully it should finish sooner.

please do let us know how things go

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-30-2017, 12:07 PM
(01-20-2017 08:52 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi gaikokujinkyofusho,
i was just checking your info above, and as far as i can tell, your gen2 drobo will be using Single drive redundancy (SDR) mode by default, and your setup looks to be having the following.

3TB + 3TB + 3TB + 2TB = 11TB Raw
11TB (-3TB for sdr, as 3TB is the equivalent size of your largest drive) = 8TB actual
8TB (*0.9 for filesystem overheads) = ~7.2TB

even though you are only using up about 70% of that, the gen2 usually takes about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have, (and can be a bit slower depending on if something was accessing the drobo for a while)

in some cases the computer or dashboard can lose access to the drobo, though if you are able to please try waiting some more time, it should hopefully finish soon for you.

(usually the drobos can recover from a power cut and continue again, but just in case something happened and it wanted to restart the rebuild and recovery process from the start, it would be good to try to leave it for another week (if you can) just in case - though hopefully it should finish sooner.

please do let us know how things go

Hi, I have let my drobo run (no power outages/shutoffs/reboots) continuously since my last post and well, its still blinking orange/green. The dashboard doesn't recognize it anymore and its no longer showing up as a drive on my computer. So now its been 11 days ago... are there any other suggestions on what I might do to get it working properly again?
01-30-2017, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 07:03 PM by Paul.)
thanks for waiting and trying that...
can i check if you are sure that when you say orange / green, do you mean red/green?
or is it possible that it is actually yellow (or amber) / green?

sorry as i know it can be a bit confusing as even some knowledgebase articles refer to yellow as orange, like here:
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/158/~/what-do-the-led-lights-next-to-each-drive-bay-on-drobo-i
but i think if we can be sure about the exact colour it will help...

if you have ever seen a drobo having basic colours or Yellow, Green, and Red, and if you can have a quick look here, are you able to confirm the colours?
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01770

the reason i ask is that there was a similar question here, with red and green lights, but the rebuild ended up completing ok: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-31-2017, 09:00 AM
(01-30-2017 09:22 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for waiting and trying that...
can i check if you are sure that when you say orange / green, do you mean red/green?
or is is possible that is it actually yellow(or amber) / green?

sorry as i know it can be a bit confusing as even some knowledgebase articles refer to yellow as orange, like here:
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/158/~/what-do-the-led-lights-next-to-each-drive-bay-on-drobo-i
but i think if we can be sure about the exact colour it will help...

if you have ever seen a drobo having basic colours or Yellow, Green, and Red, and if you can have a quick look here, are you able to confirm the colours?
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01770

the reason i ask is that there was a similar question here, with red and green lights, but the rebuild ended up completing ok: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

Fair enough question, but I am sure its orange (or amber/yellow) as I have seen red, and endured a rebuild before.
02-01-2017, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 07:17 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the information,

if you are able to wait until the weekend, for example on sunday, this will be a good way to allow ample time, (just in case) a full 8days of rebuild took place (and something triggered it again), allowing 16days total to elapse.

but for the rest of the time, if you can please shutdown any computers the drobo is connected to, does the drobo still continue to do what it is doing currently?
(if after 10minutes it continues, please can you unplug the connection cable from the back of the drobo, in your case the usb cable)
after another 10 minutes does the drobo go into standby mode?

if not, please allow it until sunday if you can.

if it does go into standby mode (or if we reach sunday without change)
then if it does not seem to be progressing, then one thing you could try could be to power off the drobo from the mains, or to unplug the power cable, and to wait 10minutes.
and then to power it back up (still while unconnected to the computer)

does it boot up and show the same thing as before,
or does it seem to boot up as normal (with blue led lights from 1 through to 10, usually from right to left?) and then does it show solid colours for the drive bays such as all green, and then does it go into standby mode?

(in case it seems to hang during the blue led lights 1-10, then please allow plenty of time here in case it is self correcting during bootup)

if it does seem to boot up and go into standby mode (or if it shows flashing colours), can you then start up the computer, and dashboard, and once those are loaded up, to connect the usb cable again...

what happens now on the drobo, and can dashboard find it and show any more info there too?
by the way, if you happen to have an easy way to take a quick video clip or photos on your phone, to post to youtube (or images to imgur) that could be useful too if you can.

(please remember to rub out any sensitive info before uploading to play safe though)

02-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It’s a day early but tomorrow I will be occupied so I went ahead and tried some of the things you suggested. I tried shutting down the computer and the drobo did not go into standby.

I then powered off the drobo (unplugged) waited around 30 min then powered it back on while unplugged (to the USB). I have included a link to a video of what happened. Around min 3:30 I plug it back in to the computer then at the end pan over to the dashboard (which now doesn’t see the Drobo at all).

Further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
02-06-2017, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 03:14 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the video,

right up to about the 4minutes mark it looks like it boots up and does things ok, (with top red)
then at about 4m 15s the top bay (after connecting the standby drobo to computer) shows a solid red (which is probably just due to capacity again... (can i check if your 2TB drive in the top slot?)

then at about 4m 40s when it starts flashing, those look like the rebuilding lights to me (yellow and green, and the lights are definitely looking a lighter shade than the deep red that was shown earlier.)

with this in mind, i really do think it just needs to do a full rebuild, and if you can, i would try to let it continue in this way, without any interruptions if possible for the rest of the week, say at least 6 days if you can.

and then, if it does not work after that, there are some other things we can try too if you wish

02-19-2017, 10:14 PM
(02-06-2017 03:12 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the video,

right up to about the 4minutes mark it looks like it boots up and does things ok, (with top red)
then at about 4m 15s the top bay (after connecting the standby drobo to computer) shows a solid red (which is probably just due to capacity again... (can i check if your 2TB drive in the top slot?)

then at about 4m 40s when it starts flashing, those look like the rebuilding lights to me (yellow and green, and the lights are definitely looking a lighter shade than the deep red that was shown earlier.)

with this in mind, i really do think it just needs to do a full rebuild, and if you can, i would try to let it continue in this way, without any interruptions if possible for the rest of the week, say at least 6 days if you can.

and then, if it does not work after that, there are some other things we can try too if you wish

Hi, since your reply on the 6th I have left my drobo to do its thing and it continues to flash orange(yellow) and green. Its been a bit over 2 weeks (I had been letting it run yellow/green since the day before I posted, the 2nd) and its still blinking.

You mentioned some other options? Hopefully not ones that involve data loss (I have 90% of it backed up but I'd really really prefer not to lose that 10%).
Thanks.
02-20-2017, 05:25 PM
thanks for the update,
it looks like even with about 16 days it is still not completing...

if you can wait 1 more day, and then if it still does not work, you could try putting the drobo into a readonly mode, which may help to stabalist things a bit to be able to copy off some data. (usually it is for reboot loops though may help here too), for example as mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

in case it does not let you, then you may need to shutdown the drobo (trying first via dashboard if it lets you, and also after shutting down the computer).
- and then with power all Off and cables unplugged, to remove your diskpack drives from your drobo (remembering the order for later)
- and then to try powering up the empty drobo and computer and dashboard, and trying to enable the readonly mode.
- and then to shutdown the drobo via dashboard
- and with drobo powered Off, to remove all cables from the drobo, and to put your diskpack drives back into the drobo where they were before.
- and then to try powering up the drobo again (which i believe should still be in readonly mode)....

.... please remember that if in read only mode, (which dashboard should be able to help verify), the drobo may look like it is doing something but it should just be in read only mode. (if during bootup though, it appears to hang on the blue let lights as they fill up from 1 to 10, please do allow it extra time though)

how are things now?