Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo FS not visible with solid yellow lights.
01-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Drobo FS not visible with solid yellow lights.
I have a Drobo FS that has all solid yellow lights. I am using dual redundancy.

If I turn off and restart, the top drive light goes red and other four go green and the message I get is that the Drobo cannot back-up my data.

Then the unit goes into yellow flashing mode (all 5 lights) and begins to rebuild data (not sure why). At that point it becomes discoverable on my network and on the Drobo Dashboard.

It eventually disappears from the network and the Dashboard with all the lights going solid yellow. Solid yellow means that I am at capacity.

Does it make sense that it should disappear form the network and the Dashboard at that point?

Would the next logical step be to insert a larger drive in the one of the bays to circumvent the at capacity issue?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2017, 03:36 PM
RE: Drobo FS not visible with solid yellow lights.
From what I have read, the inability to see the Drobo FS is an isolated issue relative to the flashing yellow lights. I should still be able to use (and see) the Drobo FS.

I will try to reinstall the firmware and check the network cables.

Thanks
01-18-2017, 09:55 PM
hi rkaczano,
you may have already started that process, though in case not, would you be able to try putting your drobo into a read only mode, for example as mentioned here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(it might help to stabalise your drobo a bit to be able to acces and copy the data somewhere?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-19-2017, 02:37 PM
So I reinstalled the firmware. I then took out the 5 drives and put them aside and replaced the Drobo with three new drives to see if the Drobo would actually start-up and be visible on my network and the Drobo Dashboard. This worked which tells me my Drobo works.

I then removed the three drives and put in the original 5 drives back in. However when I did this, the lights for these original 5 drives all go RED!

So I was about to follow you advice on the Read Only recommendation but I assume this does not work when the drives are RED. Am I block cloning or going to a data recovery house?

Thanks
01-20-2017, 08:43 PM
thanks rkaczano for more info,

the test you did was good, in the sense that your drobo main unit appears to be ok, but would also unfortunately indicate a problem with 1 or more disks in the diskpack

can i check if you had powered all off when you mentioned that you removed all of the 3 drives, and had put in your original 5 diskpack drives also when power was all off and unplugged?

(this may have been the case, and is the usual way to remove or insert disk packs in their entirety, though just to check)

if we go on the basis that you did it this way, it may still be worth trying the ReadOnly mode, though the safest thing would be to try block cloning your original diskpack if you can. (this will probably be a bit cheaper than a data recovery house if you are comfortable doing that, but if unsure they should know what do to, and you may be able to arrange a decent price with them if more local to you)

there are a couple of links to some recommended recovery houses, as well as some knowledgebase arcitles for the cloning process that were mentioned on this thread we did with yerry i think on the 2nd page which may help:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(i think you can also still get a support request raised with the support team as a paid incident even if our of support if you would wish, but please let us know how things go rkaczano)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-27-2017, 10:34 AM
I turned the power but I think I may have forgotten to also unplug the power chord when I removed the 3 drives and replaced them with the 5 other drives.

On that basis how does your advice change?

Thanks
01-27-2017, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2017 04:02 PM by Paul.)
ah thanks for that info, i think if you had shut down the drobo and it looks off, it might not make that much difference in terms of advice, its just that some older models had to be physically unplugged as there was no power toggle switch on the unit)

if it was indeed on, then you could just add in an extra step which would be to try powering all off (and unplugging cable to play safe)
removing all drives inside it (which may currently be your original drives)
and then powering it back up empty
and then using dashboard to shut it down

and then continuing with the last parts of my post, if you wish, pasted below for you.
please remember that diskpack drives should only be removed or inserted in their entirety while power is all off and unplugged:

'it may still be worth trying the ReadOnly mode, though the safest thing would be to try block cloning your original diskpack if you can. (this will probably be a bit cheaper than a data recovery house if you are comfortable doing that, but if unsure they should know what do to, and you may be able to arrange a decent price with them if more local to you)

there are a couple of links to some recommended recovery houses, as well as some knowledgebase arcitles for the cloning process that were mentioned on this thread we did with yerry i think on the 2nd page which may help:

(i think you can also still get a support request raised with the support team as a paid incident even if our of support if you would wish, but please let us know how things go rkaczano)'