Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mSATA SSD suggestions?
01-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Star mSATA SSD suggestions?
There's a lot of different info out there regarding adding an mSATA card for increased performance in the Drobo 5. Drobo support said they ship their 5Dt model with a Crucial M4 128gb, but would not go as far as to recommend anything. Just want to make sure I get a good model and I don't unnecessarily spend too much money.

Which model/size would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2017, 10:20 PM
RE: mSATA SSD suggestions?
I tried to find a cheap 128gb card and actually wound up with the Crucial. It's not critical file storage just cacheing so I would think that any name brand would work. Look for used items on Amazon for a good deal.
01-15-2017, 10:52 AM
Also look for which ones NOT to use...
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01423

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
01-16-2017, 08:43 AM
(01-13-2017 10:20 PM)DSLAM Wrote:  I tried to find a cheap 128gb card and actually wound up with the Crucial. It's not critical file storage just cacheing so I would think that any name brand would work. Look for used items on Amazon for a good deal.

Which model Crucial did you go with? Have you had any issues?

Thanks!
01-16-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm using a Plextor M5M 128GB Mini-SATA with no issues.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1

Strange how the price has doubled on this item since I bought it three years ago.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
01-16-2017, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 09:11 PM by Paul.)
the doubling might be due to lots of others using it without issues too.

for the recommendation part, it's also usual for most companies to not recommend much, for example, when i got my nikon camera, it wasnt clear which memory card i could use inside it, so i rang them up and it took me ages on the phone to try and tease out the fact that sandisk would work well inside it (and that was after hearing them mention a few other products with each sentence, probably to avoid favouritism) - but, fingers crossed, it has been working well all these years with about 8GB of media files (images/vid clips etc) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)