Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo critically low on capacity
02-11-2017, 12:45 PM
RE: Drobo critically low on capacity
(02-10-2017 05:01 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah there might be some settings that could help within time machine itself too... there was a very good site mentioned i think by johnm called pondini , for example here that might have useful info in general too:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

is your time machine using a specially-created (limited) time machine volume that dashboard made, or is it just set to use a particular volume on your drobo (but that does not have any actual "limits" as to how much space time machine can use)?

The Drobo was never partitioned which might be part of the problem. What I plan to do now is move across my data plus the January/February Time Machine backups onto the iMac. I'll then reformat the Drobo & partition 200gb for data & leave the remainder for Time Machine backups. I'll continue reading through the link you sent. Do you have any other recommendations on this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2017, 02:49 PM
thanks for the info.

sure - am pretty sure that Only dashboard should manage volumes (or create any time machine-specific volume).... using any other tools on the drobo like to partition or defrag a drobo etc, can only lead to problems Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-16-2017, 11:12 AM
(02-13-2017 02:49 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info.

sure - am pretty sure that Only dashboard should manage volumes (or create any time machine-specific volume).... using any other tools on the drobo like to partition or defrag a drobo etc, can only lead to problems Smile

The only dashboard tools I find are format & volume (rename). How do I therefore go about partitioning the Drobo other than using the Mac Disk Utility?
02-17-2017, 08:06 PM
ah i think this page may help:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01809
(i do not have a mac but that article from the knowledgebase seems to mention steps for a drobo-s with timemachine)

it mentioned dashboard needing to be at least v2.6.2 which will show a button for backups if supporting your model, there is also a page here, showing the example, but am not sure about the drobo-s:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01862
and here https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-00911
these pages seem to indicate only for the mini, gen3 (or newer 5d models) so we may need to wait for some other mac users to help you further as i have never used time machine myself to be honest.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-08-2017, 07:52 PM
(02-17-2017 08:06 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah i think this page may help:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01809
(i do not have a mac but that article from the knowledgebase seems to mention steps for a drobo-s with timemachine)

it mentioned dashboard needing to be at least v2.6.2 which will show a button for backups if supporting your model, there is also a page here, showing the example, but am not sure about the drobo-s:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01862
and here https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-00911
these pages seem to indicate only for the mini, gen3 (or newer 5d models) so we may need to wait for some other mac users to help you further as i have never used time machine myself to be honest.

I had to address other related issues however, I am now ready to start the reformat, however, the linked instructions provided seem to set out the process for reformatting Drobo under Lion whereas I am using Sierra & the steps set out do not obviously tie up. Under Sierra the Disk Utility options are First Aid, Partition, Erase, Restore Mount & Info.
03-10-2017, 09:46 PM
ah its possible that the older guides have become a bit out of date, but i am pretty sure that only dashboard should do the option (if it was to exist for a time machine backup)....

but i was just thinking, what if you tried something else which could maybe achieve your objective?
for example, what about those flat files (sparse bundle or fixed size file)?

if you were to create one of those, (say at a fixed filesize that you are happy to use up for time machine), then could that not essentially achieve the same goal, where time machine just uses that for its data, and as far as the drobo would be concerned, it would just be another (rather large) file that is stored on the drobo?

03-16-2017, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 07:57 AM by spk10128.)
I was planning to report in today confirming that all had been restored - until I turned on my iMac...

I had previously removed all data from the Drobo & formatted using the Mac Disk Utility which did not work out since I was unable to partition. I subsequently realized there was a format option within Drobo Dashboard tools which worked as expected & I then partitioned using the Mac Disk Utility. I copied back the data to one partition & pointed Time Machine to the second. There was a momentary blip when the Drobo could not be found & I realized the green light on the right side of the Drobo front panel was flashing. I shut down the Drobo & once it came back up the backup started. The first backup completed after about six hours with hourly backups thereafter. All was good.

This morning on start-up the iMac could not find any Time Machine backup disk. Drobo Dashboard cannot see it, nor do any Mac tools (Finder/Disk Utility). I have shut down the Drobo & iMac repeatedly without improvement. The USB connection is undisturbed.

Any ideas what I do next?
Not sure what started the problem but the failure of the Drobo to mount was caused by my not following the correct shut down/restart procedure. Drobo now again detected & backing up Time Machine.
03-17-2017, 03:33 PM
ah thanks for the update (and 2nd part of the update) with the better news Smile
fingers crossed it will continue to be ok for you.

03-20-2017, 06:51 AM
I do have a continuing issue. The iMac to which the device is attached is scheduled to shut down overnight & autostart in the morning. Since this recent re-formating/partitioning, the Drobo constantly fails to remount on start-up. I am now compelled to shut everything down & restart in sequence, after which the Drobo runs fine throughout the day, until the following morning when I am again required to restart the iMac & Drobo.

Any ideas what I should do to correct this?
03-20-2017, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 05:38 PM by Paul.)
hi spk10128,
would you be able to try disabling the scheduled shutdowns and restarts of the host computer, at least for a few days if possible, just to help make sure that it keeps working if the host is not restarted?

if you need the host to shutdown and restart every night, then maybe there is a way to schedule the drobo dashboard to shutdown the drobo first, before the computer is shutting itself down...(there may be a way to do this on the mac via ejecting if that is ok to do, but a 3rd party tool might be needed to simulate the mouse clicking on dashboard to shutdown) - but when you restart the computer (even via the schedule), will the drobo boot up as normal again?

if it is ok for the drobo and computer to be running all day, another option could be to try leaving them simply running each night as well, (at least as a test). from an energy point of view, am sure all the extra hours of potentially un-necessary hours could add up (even though there are some spin downs of drives in some models or power saving features of computers - which are not without their own problems too), though in the long run, if it is safe to do so, keeping them running 24/7 will probably be better then starting and stopping every day. (at least thats what ive noticed over the years and 2nd hand experience)