Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5c is very very slow
01-22-2017, 07:24 PM
RE: Drobo 5c is very very slow
One more slow crawler here Sad
Red Pro drives in, 20/20 Write/Read speeds. I checked not only mobo USB 3.0's but got a PCI-E express cards to test as well.
Even a PCI-E USB 3.1 card I just plugged in didn't help.
The weird part is - with USB 3.1 card - write starts at 289 MB/s and next second drops to ~40, Read always around 20.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2017, 09:05 AM
hi just to link to bollwhans other post here (with more info about usb monitors too)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

hi mariuszj, can i check if you are also using some usb monitors?
in the link above, it looks like they were the initial cause of the main slowdown bollwahn described... (a solution still needs to be found for them to be able to use all usb devices if that is the case) though just wanted to check in case you were using them too?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-23-2017, 08:35 PM
(01-23-2017 09:05 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi just to link to bollwhans other post here (with more info about usb monitors too)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

hi mariuszj, can i check if you are also using some usb monitors?
in the link above, it looks like they were the initial cause of the main slowdown bollwahn described... (a solution still needs to be found for them to be able to use all usb devices if that is the case) though just wanted to check in case you were using them too?

Thanks, Paul. No USB Monitors. I've tried every driver I could find for my mobo USB 3.0 and my USB 3.1 card. Nothing helps - the fastest I've got was ~50/20 Write/Read.
Customer Service wants me to go through the RMA process, but I doubt it's the hardware issue...
01-25-2017, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 08:10 PM by Paul.)
ah i guess if you can do that process as part of the service (and no big cost outlays to you etc) it might be worth doing at some stage if a root cause or solution isnt found...

there was also a recent post here about some usb 3 and usb 3.1 problems too:
(maybe you can have a quick look there as well, in case the link i pasted there can find any compatibility warnings for your usb controller?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
02-03-2017, 01:26 PM
(01-10-2017 07:58 PM)hastor Wrote:  I just got my Drobo 5C, I'm using it for the first time. It is connected to a USB 3.1 port. I'm copying a file that I've copied over the same port to an external HDD at 80MB/s recently (limited by the speed of the external drive). Copying to the Drobo, I'm getting 15-20MB/sec. It is even dipping to 8MB/s and occasionally going down to zero and sitting there for a second before going back up. I'm testing by copying a 50GB file.

I understand they do some self-optimizing when they are new, but I don't think it should be THIS slow. Even in the Drobo Dashboard it shows Write Throughput of 18MB/sec. I would question whether it was getting a proper usb 3.0 connection but even usb 2.0 can do better than this.

I'm running 4 drives - 8TB, 5TB, 750GB, and 250GB. I'll be adding another 5TB once I've backed up the contents on it to the current drives, and will be replacing the 250GB with another 8TB in a month or so. I was just using what I had for now until I can afford bigger drives.

Any advice? At least I can return it if I don't find a solution or see a major improvement in 2 days.

Just a small update - it's been a couple hours since I posted this (and then it had already been long enough to drive me to post about it) and no change. It maybe hits zero less often, but still hovers around 18-21MB/s. I've seen it barely hit 23MB a couple of times, but never once 24 or higher. I even left it unused but on and connected for at least 30 mins to let it catch up with any housekeeping, but it didn't help.

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I had the same thing (running on windows 10). Check the drivers for your usb. Chances are you still have the 2006 drivers for your USB controllers. Update them manually in device manager. Make sure you include driver updates in your windows update in the future. Visit microsoft's site for details on how to do that. I got this tip from there and it worked immediately.
02-03-2017, 04:45 PM
(welcome to the forum) Smile
thanks for the info you found. (i found a few usb drivers that were more recent, though some generic ones at 2006 too)

02-04-2017, 02:12 PM
(02-03-2017 04:45 PM)Paul Wrote:  (welcome to the forum) Smile
thanks for the info you found. (i found a few usb drivers that were more recent, though some generic ones at 2006 too)

I gathered tha especially the controller drivers were critically for the transfer speed.
02-06-2017, 03:16 PM
ok thanks ill make a note for me to check those for future updates (as things work ok for me at the moment i wont try to change them just yet but will make note for future)

03-04-2017, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2017 03:53 AM by joeyvaldezjr.)
HI! I'm new here and just started using the drobo 5c. I though I follow on from this post than creating a new thread. I have connected the Drobo 5c to my 2016 Macbook Pro Thunderbolt 3 port.

I'm transferring files at the moment but the write speed is only around 22-26 MB/s. Read speed is around 28-30MB/s. This is based on the Black Magic Disk Speed Test.

I currently have 2 x 4TB WD Red Drives.

Main reason I went for a DAS is because I think it would be much faster than getting a NAS. But I think the current read/write speeds should be much better than this.

I also have a 3TB G-tech Thunderbolt 2 and write speed is around 90-100MB/s and read speed at 70-100 MB/s.

No issued reported on the Drobo dashboard.

Hope someone here can help. Thanks!
03-06-2017, 09:21 PM
hi joey, sometimes when you first setup a drobo (or first copy files to it etc) there is a bit of maintenance running in the background. (it also does some self optimisation)..

if you can try waiting a bit, and then trying the test again it might be quicker.

i only have usb on my das drobos but if you see my sig it has some tests from me (on a fairly older slower computer)

also, any other programs can also slow the drobo down a bit, like antivirus scans or windows searching indexing (and mac spotlight).