Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Setting up my Drobo 5D
01-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Setting up my Drobo 5D
I have about 9 TB of movies on 3 external HDDs that I want to move to my new Drobo 5D. They are all in the bluray folder structure, so I will be converting them all to MKV before moving them to the Drobo. I have three 6TB WD Red Pro drives to put in my Drobo and will eventually fill out the last two spots with the same drive once I have the money. I currently have a Windows 10 PC, but will ultimately have the Drobo connected to a Mac Mini (not yet purchased), so this brings me to my questions:

1. Will it be okay to have the Drobo connected to my Windows 10 PC for initial set up before eventually connecting it to the Mac Mini?

2. Can I connect an external HDD to my PC at the same time as my Drobo and then set my source as the external HDD and the destination as the Drobo when converting the movies from Bluray Folder Structure to MKV?

3. If #2 is not recommended, what is the best process to convert/move the movies from my External HDDs to the Drobo?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions/advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2017, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 05:04 PM by Paul.)
RE: Setting up my Drobo 5D
hi gmhaynes,
i only have windows so my drobos all use ntfs, but for question 2) i dont see any issues with the drobo connected to the computer, as well as another external drive with its own seperate port connection, being used like that.

for example, i have had a computer with its own hard drive inside, with 2 drobos attached with their own usb cables, another 1 (or 2) usb hard drives, and a zip drive without any problems Smile

essentially, if the source files are already on a drive, and you will simply be pulling in from the source, and generating the output file on the drobo, that should work out ok. (and would most probably be quicker than copying all source to the drobo first, and then specifying the drobo as source, as well as a folder on drobo as destination)

2 quick tips for you if i may...
- mkv can sometimes result in keyframe loss (so its good to test things out)
- also, always keep your source until you are happy with the destination version Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-10-2017, 08:24 AM
(01-09-2017 05:02 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi gmhaynes,
i only have windows so my drobos all use ntfs, but for question 2) i dont see any issues with the drobo connected to the computer, as well as another external drive with its own seperate port connection, being used like that.

for example, i have had a computer with its own hard drive inside, with 2 drobos attached with their own usb cables, another 1 (or 2) usb hard drives, and a zip drive without any problems Smile

essentially, if the source files are already on a drive, and you will simply be pulling in from the source, and generating the output file on the drobo, that should work out ok. (and would most probably be quicker than copying all source to the drobo first, and then specifying the drobo as source, as well as a folder on drobo as destination)

2 quick tips for you if i may...
- mkv can sometimes result in keyframe loss (so its good to test things out)
- also, always keep your source until you are happy with the destination version Smile

Thanks for the reply. Once all the files are copied, I do plan on putting my External HDDs in a safe to keep as a back up.

My biggest concern is how best to go about migrating the data from my external HDDs.

Since it will ultimately be connected to a Mac Mini, do I need to wait and set it up via the Mac instead of setting it up via Windows and then moving it to the Mac?

I am assuming if I format it for Windows and then connect it to the Mac, I will have to reformat it, so would that wipe it clean?

As long as it is connected to the Mac, which obviously would be connected to the network, will I be able to transfer files to it from the PC over the network?

Thanks!
01-11-2017, 06:21 PM
thanks for the info, backups are always good.

it may be good to hang in there a bit for some other mac (or mixed mac and windows users) to suggest something, as i only have windows myself, though if you are going to be mainly migrating away from windows and to macs, (and if your new mac is going to be able to read and access your data, which is on the external drives that sound as though they are already in windows format, as well as if it is going to be able to have the necessary programs to do the conversions you require), then it might be good to actually wait a bit more, until you actually do get the mac, so that if your drobo is not yet formatted and set up, it is only setup and formatted the 1 time, using the mac format.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Yeah, probably not a bad idea. At this point, I do think I am going to hold off on setting it up until I have my Mac Mini. With that out of the way, my only question now is how best to go about converting/transferring the files from my external HDDs once the Drobo is set up and connected to the Mac Mini.

Thanks again for your input.
01-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I didn't see you mention the file system format you planned on using once you moved to the Mac.

It's most likely under Windows you would setup the drive using NTFS. When you shift to the Mac, NTFS is natively only supported as "Read-Only". So, if you wanted to continue using the drive in NTFS format would would need to use a 3rd Party File System Driver which enables write support for NTFS ( I myself use Paragon Software's NTFS Driver ). This is likely also best if you want to have both Mac and windows clients accessing the drive.

If however, you wanted to shift to the current Mac HFS+ Format, you would most likely need to format the Drobo and start again ( I know that Paragon [no I don't get a kick-back] has a tool to perform a migration, but I've never used it and would be suspicious of using it on top of the Drobo ). You can use tools like Chronosync on the Mac to manage the Data Transfers, but you'll likely need to use the External Drives as a intermediary.

One, wild idea that I was thinking about for this is, if you plan to do the move. Do you setup the Drobo with two Volumes, one formatted as NTFS and the other as HFS+. Right now, you could load the files into the NTFS volume and then later on when you get the Mac. You perform piecemeal copies of the structure and remove it from the NTFS after you have validated the copy. You would still need an NTFS driver for the Mac but it would remove the need for the intermediary drive. As the HFS+ volume grows the NTFS volume can then shrink. You would potentially suffer performance issues if your total usages >80% in the Drobo.

Michael
01-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Thank you for the response.

I actually should be receiving my Mac Mini this week, so I can move forward with that set up. I just want to keep things as simple as possible, so if I can avoid needing the third party app (Paragon?) then I would like to.

My plan at this point is to plug the external drives into my PC and convert them to .MKV files using a BatchMKV tool. If my PC can point to the Mac Mini/Drobo as a destination (Connect to Mac from Windows), that would be perfect, but if it can't then I will just do like 10 at a time, and then look to my PC from the MAC and transfer the files (Sharing files between Windows & Mac).

Is there an obvious issue with this plan that I am overlooking?

Thanks again!
01-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I don't think your overlooking anything major.

Keep in mind that using File Sharing to perform the copy from Windows to the Mac will limit your bandwidth to your Network Speeds.

You can mount the NTFS External drives on the Mac and use them in Read-Only mode for the copy, so it might be faster to perform the conversion in Windows and save the converted file to the external drive(s). Then plug the drive(s) directly into the Mac Mini and perform the copy to the Drobo from there.
01-16-2017, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 09:06 PM by Paul.)
(thanks mpschaefer for your info...
joke - "all your info's are belong to us" Smile

01-17-2017, 09:03 PM
(01-16-2017 09:06 PM)Paul Wrote:  (thanks mpschaefer for your info...
joke - "all your info's are belong to us" Smile

Well, after all these years in IT, I'm used to someone else always owning my IP... Wink