Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UPS Recommendation for Drobo 5D/Mac Mini
01-05-2017, 02:28 PM
UPS Recommendation for Drobo 5D/Mac Mini
I am in the process of setting up a Mac Mini connected to a Drobo 5D to use as Plex Media Server. With all the different types of Uninterruptible Power Supplies out there, I just wanted to make sure I got one that was sufficient without going overboard.

These are the two I was looking at initially:

CyberPower 1000VA AVR
CyberPower 850VA PFC

Do I need one that is line interactive?

What about the Pure Sine Wave PFC?

Could I get by with a smaller (not a tower) unit?

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2017, 04:29 PM
RE: UPS Recommendation for Drobo 5D/Mac Mini
Well the Drobo sort of has it's own UPS with its power supply. If the power goes out, it has enough energy stored up to allow it to do a graceful shutdown. So it's really more for your computer, a Macmini would not need anything powerful at all.
01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
(01-05-2017 04:29 PM)DSLAM Wrote:  Well the Drobo sort of has it's own UPS with its power supply. If the power goes out, it has enough energy stored up to allow it to do a graceful shutdown. So it's really more for your computer, a Macmini would not need anything powerful at all.

Thank you for the response. So with that said, would the following unit suffice?

CyberPower CP600LCD Intelligent LCD UPS 600VA 340W Compact

Does either the Mac Mini or Drobo 5D require sine wave output?

Thanks again!
01-06-2017, 06:10 PM
No, neither the Mac Mini nor Drobo will require a pure sine wave output. It is overkill in your case. You can read more about that here: https://superuser.com/questions/912679/w...https://superuser.com/questions/912679/when-do-i-need-a-pure-sin

As for the power requirements, considering the Mac consumes about 6 watts at idle and a max of 85 watts, the CyberPower you linked to would be overkill. You could get something cheaper and be just fine. The main idea would be something that holds enough charge to allow your computer to shut down naturally in the event you lost power. I found a 15 dollar UPS at Goodwill that I run my main desktop computer on and it's fine.