Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo-FS disconnects after 15 min
01-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Drobo-FS disconnects after 15 min
I've been having trouble accessing my FS.
I have disk in 4 of the 5 slots. 2.52TB used, 1.92TB Free.
All 4 lights are green.
dashboard: 2.6.4 FW: 1.2.7
I can access my data/pictures for around 10 minutes and then I lose access to the data/pics and 4 minutes later the Dashboard can't find the FS.
So if I reboot the FS, I can see if for about 10-15 minutes. I get the same results using direct connect or NAS.
Using my iphone, I use a network app and i can see FS and the IP address. I tried manually entering the ip address in the dashboard, but same results.
All suggestion welcomed. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
RE: Drobo-FS disconnects after 15 min
Same issue here. Everything works fine during boot and data protection and then BOOM, it just disconnects.
01-06-2017, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 12:17 PM by Paul.)
hi if both of you happen to have a spare different network cable, would you be able to try using that as a test, after using dashboard to shutdown your drobo, and then to power it back up using the new cable, but also after rebooting your computers too?

(am just trying to see if the same problem happens after a basic reboot of all devices, and also with a different cable)

if there are still problems, can you see if any drives are showing up in dashboard with details, such as a label saying Warning of Healed?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Did exactly as you asked and replaced the network cable to the network switch after shutting the Drobo down. Rebooted my Mac Pro. Started the Drobo and after the initial startup process, I had a solid red light on one of the drives. I ejected the drive. (It is a brand new WD Purple 4 TB.) Reinstalled the drive and the Drobo went into data protection mode. Drobo Dashboard showed the FS and also showed that the red light drive was recognized. Went through the data protection mode and disconnected. I have screen caps if you'd like to see them.

Currently, all five lights on the Drobo are green and the capacity is at 27%.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
01-08-2017, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 11:01 AM by sports@fuse.net.)
(01-06-2017 12:16 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi if both of you happen to have a spare different network cable, would you be able to try using that as a test, after using dashboard to shutdown your drobo, and then to power it back up using the new cable, but also after rebooting your computers too?

(am just trying to see if the same problem happens after a basic reboot of all devices, and also with a different cable)

if there are still problems, can you see if any drives are showing up in dashboard with details, such as a label saying Warning of Healed?

Thanks for replying. I did try a couple different cables. And those cables worked on the other devices i took them form. So i don't think it's the cable.
(01-06-2017 01:21 PM)bjp47upb Wrote:  Did exactly as you asked and replaced the network cable to the network switch after shutting the Drobo down. Rebooted my Mac Pro. Started the Drobo and after the initial startup process, I had a solid red light on one of the drives. I ejected the drive. (It is a brand new WD Purple 4 TB.) Reinstalled the drive and the Drobo went into data protection mode. Drobo Dashboard showed the FS and also showed that the red light drive was recognized. Went through the data protection mode and disconnected. I have screen caps if you'd like to see them.

Currently, all five lights on the Drobo are green and the capacity is at 27%.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

It is interesting that you have a Mac and i'm using a PC and we are both having the same problem.
I tried one pc with windows 7 and the other one has vista. Firewall and defender turned off on both.

All my pictures are held hostage. I liked my drobo up until now. I can't recommend Drobo to my photographer peers. At least not until i get this resolved and depending on the resolution.
(01-06-2017 12:16 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi if both of you happen to have a spare different network cable, would you be able to try using that as a test, after using dashboard to shutdown your drobo, and then to power it back up using the new cable, but also after rebooting your computers too?

I was able to get a few diags while the dashboard recognized the FS. I was able to go to shares and connect the drive. Then i was able to access my pictures. It seems to me that the drobo gets almost finished and then checks "something" and says that's not right and disconnects.
Thanks ... any and all help is greatly appreciated.
01-09-2017, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 03:30 PM by Paul.)
thanks guys for trying that and for more info,

for bp, a solution for sports below might end up working for you, (and am also wondering what would happen if you did not put that purple drive back in) but sure, first screenshots would be handy (please feel free to upload them to imgur or similar with links pasted back here - though please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers before uploading to play safe)

for sports, it may that the drobo has been encountering several drive errors, which are not yet fully failing, but causing a process to start from scratch... i think it would be worth trying to put your drobo into a readOnly mode, for example as mentioned in the link below, just to see if it can help get things in a stable state for you, to let you at least be able to access your data to be able to copy it somewhere?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-09-2017, 08:51 PM
(01-09-2017 03:29 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks guys for trying that and for more info,

for bp, a solution for sports below might end up working for you, (and am also wondering what would happen if you did not put that purple drive back in) but sure, first screenshots would be handy (please feel free to upload them to imgur or similar with links pasted back here - though please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers before uploading to play safe)

for sports, it may that the drobo has been encountering several drive errors, which are not yet fully failing, but causing a process to start from scratch... i think it would be worth trying to put your drobo into a readOnly mode, for example as mentioned in the link below, just to see if it can help get things in a stable state for you, to let you at least be able to access your data to be able to copy it somewhere?
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

Paul,
Thanks for your help. I put the FS in read-only mode and it's been up for an hour now. I can access my pictures. I'll copy the pictures over to some external drives. Then i can go back and play with the FS without fearing the loss of data.
Thanks again!!!
01-11-2017, 05:08 PM
ah thats cool, thanks for the good news updates sports Smile